20, 24 or 28

arian29

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Out of the 20,24 and 28mm f2.8... Whats the purpose and which is most versatile. Focusing on travel and street using the D7000. Initially i was considering the tokina 11-16mm as a general purpose street lens. However the 20 24 or the 28 would be better. Having better image quality n very light weight. I wanted to know what's the difference in use and quality as theres a significant difference in price between all these three lenses.

Last edited:
Post the lenses you're considering, please.

I think from the title OP is considering 20mm, 24mm, and 28mm fixed focal lenses. if they are all f/2.8 the only real difference will be how wide you want to shoot.
unless you are looking at different brands. a little more info is needed please.
on a DX body you might consider something like a 10-20mm zoom if you really want to go wide.

Agreed. more info needed. you just can't weigh it out like that

since you mentioned travel and street, also be a little more specific on what you think you want to shoot with a fixed focal wide lens. great for certain shots, like landscape,
things where you want a lot in the picture, but you will have a little more trouble when you want to get in close to something. you might consider something like a 17-55 f/2.8 where you get the wide angle as well as a more mid range focal length.

For landscapes i use the 16-85mm.. which however i dont find very useful for street.. its heavy and bad in low light. I needed a walk around lens.. with which i can shoot street, those narrow places and some architecture along the way. I am wondering if i should reconsider the 11-16mm.. :scratch:

The easiest to use lens is the 28mm. The 24 is fairly easy to use. The 20mm demands more skill in wide-angle composing methods.

Thank you all.. am going for the 24mm 2.8D

Most reactions

Back