**NSWF** Is this photo too 'spring break-ish / girls gone wild' for pro use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didnt miss much, google fat chick flashing at trailer park. Im sure youll find it.

I'm baffled because I don't see the connection between a drunken girl showing her breasts and a little kid carrying bottles of wine. Is it because they're both 'naughty'? I just feel like if I have to work that hard at trying to find a connection, then it's perhaps not as strong an homage as you might have thought.

Regardless, I wouldn't include it for the museum folks. If you hadn't got the nipples, I might have thought differently. The viewers' imagination would be more engaged because they'd have to imagine what happens next. This surely would be obvious but everyone would get to think of it on their own in their own way. I feel this would have provided more of a commentary on the scene, letting us not only think of whatever image would come to our heads but maybe it would also lead us to wondering about what happened before or what prompted this girl to start opening her shirt? But leaving nothing to the imagination leaves me with just the thought that you got a picture of someone's breasts.

It kind of reminds me of Coco Chanel's directive, "Less is more." I understand your pride in the shot because it represents your skill and timing in getting such a fleeting moment. I personally just wish you'd captured it half a second earlier. Not because I'm a prude and have anything against seeing breasts, but because I think it would have been a stronger image if it implied rather than showed all. Maybe then the HCB reference would be clearer (to me, anyway.)

(And thanks! I gave myself that 365 challenge to help me be consistent in other things in my life, to help stay disciplined. It's been a lot of fun.)

From what I could tell, the girl was not drunk. So there must be some 'inkling of ambiguity, left for the viewer to fill in' about my pix Amolitor.

OK, let me spell it out, I don't want you to fret over it too much...cut off foot syndrome!

:addpics::addpics::addpics:

I'm baffled because I don't see the connection between a drunken girl showing her breasts and a little kid carrying bottles of wine. Is it because they're both 'naughty'? I just feel like if I have to work that hard at trying to find a connection, then it's perhaps not as strong an homage as you might have thought.

Regardless, I wouldn't include it for the museum folks. If you hadn't got the nipples, I might have thought differently. The viewers' imagination would be more engaged because they'd have to imagine what happens next. This surely would be obvious but everyone would get to think of it on their own in their own way. I feel this would have provided more of a commentary on the scene, letting us not only think of whatever image would come to our heads but maybe it would also lead us to wondering about what happened before or what prompted this girl to start opening her shirt? But leaving nothing to the imagination leaves me with just the thought that you got a picture of someone's breasts.

It kind of reminds me of Coco Chanel's directive, "Less is more." I understand your pride in the shot because it represents your skill and timing in getting such a fleeting moment. I personally just wish you'd captured it half a second earlier. Not because I'm a prude and have anything against seeing breasts, but because I think it would have been a stronger image if it implied rather than showed all. Maybe then the HCB reference would be clearer (to me, anyway.)

(And thanks! I gave myself that 365 challenge to help me be consistent in other things in my life, to help stay disciplined. It's been a lot of fun.)

From what I could tell, the girl was not drunk. So there must be some 'inkling of ambiguity, left for the viewer to fill in' about my pix Amolitor.

OK, let me spell it out, I don't want you to fret over it too much...cut off foot syndrome!

So, the cut off feat is supposed to be the connection?

I would not include that in a portfolio.

OK, thanks. I see many of you shoot in a different style and subject matter than I do. So judge the Princess on how it relates to the body of my work. Do you think it fits well within my work or not? Maybe that is a better to answer question.

When you are at Artslant you should see on the right side a spot to click to view my profile. It will show you a portfolio of some of my work and you can decide.

So, the cut off feat is supposed to be the connection?

Yes, that is it. But the pix was not selected and used just for the name. I picked the name out by chance. Originally it was just called 'Princess of Ross County.'

I always like HCB, so I added the connection to his cut off foot beauty he shot in '54.

The thing is, it's not the cut off feet that make that image significant, so telling us we should see the relationship between the images through the cut off feet is quite an ask. The boy in the image has an exuberant expression and posture that exude happiness and self confidence, a mood that is significant as the shot itself was done in France right after the war; it both captures a decisive moment while also portraying in it the mood of the country at the time.

HCB is rolling in his grave right now.

I'm familiar with your other work, so it seems like this shot is sort of a continuation of that same kind of street ethos. It "fits" with a lot of your other stuff. The HDR-type processing or "look" differs from your earliest stuff, but then, the 1970's were an entirely different era, and life, and clothing, and people, and culture, were ALL very different back then. For example, the 4-wheeler the two gals are riding on; that vehicle itself denotes a general time period. In the 1970's or 1980's, you'd NEVER see that kind of 4-wheeler being used in that manner.

As to the HCB connection...I think that's a bit of a stretch, although I do understand what you were referencing. I went and looked at his shot today, and looked at yours, and I see the people looking toward the subject thing, and the cut-off feet, but again, I think the comparison and the "in the style of" references are both misguided.

I can see it as part of your portfolio...it seems like it fits in with the alternative lifestyle kind of crowd that you've been exploring for so long.

I actually quite like it. Its a pretty well composed shot and the technical aspects of exposure etc seem good to me. On the thinkers side it illustrates a moment of where we are in society just now. It says a lot about our attitudes towards sex an in particular the "ladette" culture. It also tells a story about the exibisionism of our modern world and the fact that nowadays you can be photographed doing anything anywhere and someone may post it somewhere online which may or may not have been in the subjects mind at the time. The discussion that's going on about it now alludes to the attitude of men towards women, particularly online and can rehash a load of old feminist arguments about objectification and how women in images are viewed.

There could be a lot more said about this image however it is a good illustration of what happens all over the world at parties all the time. Is that not more what this genre of photography is about? Showing us every day scenes which we ignore but show how we live and how social attitudes are.

What makes HCB's shot work is precisely that we don't understand the boy's expression and manner. We are free to imagine a world of possibilities, we can write our own narrative to surround and support the picture.

This is not true of the picture shown here. The surrounding narrative is obvious, to the point of crystal clarity. We know pretty much exactly what is in everyone's minds in the shot. And this is, precisely, why it doesn't work. There's no there, there. Yes, it's a moment, captured. So what? I just had a moment, ooops, there went another, and another. Why do I care about *that* moment? What is interesting about *that* moment, as opposed to the one before it and after it? We've heard what makes it special, quite precisely -- the girl's tits are not visible in those other moments.

That's not enough to sell a picture to a museum, or to me.

But the social commentry is, there have been tons of artists who have explored the attitude towards women in society and I'd argure that this could well sit along side them while also providing a bit of commentry on where we are nowadays. There are still questions about this photo that run along the vein that you are suggesting: Is it symtomatic of a society that places so much emphasis on appearance and conforming to the beauty clique that she needs to go further to feel attractive? Does the prevalence of this kind of party image change attitudes towards women given that we're so keen to dismiss this as some other lass with her tits out? There is a lot more that could be discussed about this image.

I'll give you that it's not in the same class as HB's work, however as a shot it still has merit. If Van Gough or others only painted the stuff that people wanted or museums wanted to show at the time we wouldn't have half the valued art we do now. I'd suggest that any work, if it can get us to examine what we as a society are doing now is more valuable than what has been done in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back