nyc night shot c&c

Yel1owrice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

Been reading a lot but 1st time posting. How do I get it to be sharper? seems a bit blurry still.

used 18-55 kit lens, pod and remote on D5000,

DSC_0892.jpg

DSC_0838.jpg

DSC_0888.jpg

Thanks

2nd one is your strongest if you crop out the railing on the right. Did you turn VR off?

those are some nice shots what effect did you use to get that look?

Number 2 has my heart, but maybe crop out the railing? It's drawing my eye down away from the bridges.

I have your exact equipment, minus the pod and remote, and my pictures are nearly that high quality! What are your settings, and did you photoshop them afterwards?

What you still can do better is choose a smaller aperture. I assume yours wasn't very small, but - giving in to the fact that it was nighttime - fairly wide open. Makes light sources show as bright blobs. A smaller aperture (of course [!] combined with a longer shutter speed, which isn't a problem when you have tripod and remote) would give you better defined dots, probably with a bit of a star effect.

Other than that, don't shoot leaves on a WINDY night, they move and will therefore blur!

To get a blurred look of water due to the long exposure is wanted and liked.

I like how your skies have got definition by the clouds and that bit of colour still there.

Wow, these are awesome! Great job! I also agree crop out the railing in picture number two. But other then that nice job!

Oh my god!!! I love them a lot, especially #2!!

This looks like a perfect example of the problem I had at first with night pictures. I was using way too large of an aperture. Put it up to say f/11 and watch the lights turn to stars :) haha. You will get a much sharper picture! These pictures are awesome though there is no doubt about that.

I think the pics all of them, are a bit over exposed and blurry. Just my opinion

But very nice location. 1st would have been nice w/out the clutters in the bottom

I agree with the majority. #2 is very nice with a crop. Perhaps some sharpening (still trying to get pp skills up myself)?

Edit: I attempted the crop and was sad to lose half of the second bridge. I would suggest cloning out the railing instead of a crop.

Last edited:
I must be blind...

the photos are blurry, one is overexposed and the aperture is set to expose the photos not being sharp. None of the photos are horizontal, although you may have planned that. If so, the off level should not be so close to being level (2 & 3).
#3 the wood piers are in the way, and the underportion of the Brooklyn bridge is at the top of the image.
#1 is a mishmash of stuff with the Brooklyn Bridge as a backdrop
#2 is composed the best. The rail is the only focused portion. Otherwise the "treatment" is okay.

1) the foreground tree on top is annoying
2) could do without the pole imop
3) cool capture

these don't really seem sharp, also when you're on a tripod you've got to really make sure you're level. don't raise up the center column, ever. It just makes the tripod into a monopod with 3 legs, and thus really unstable.

When shooting at night with a remote, stop your lens down, it's ok to use f/8 and ISO 100 or 200. You're on a tripod, and your subject isn't going to go anywhere. Use live view to focus, you can zoom in at 100% and get that critical super sharp focus. Do that, and your picture quality will improve dramatically.

Most reactions

Back