What's new

OCF, Helo me improve

What program are you using to edit?

Have you tried auto white balance setting to see what it does?
 
What program are you using to edit?

Have you tried auto white balance setting to see what it does?

Yes, I am using LR4 and it makes it VERY warm. I kinda got that one where I'm okay with it but took some more tonight with the only light in the room was the speedlight. I'll get them processed and post a couple up for C&C.

Thank you for the help.
 
Okay take two. These were taken with one speedlight bounced off a reflector and another reflector on the other side for fill. Improvements?

1. My wife, posing after getting her hair cut and colored today.


IMG_7932 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr

2. Daddies girl, she loves to be my model. (Most of the time.)


IMG_7929 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr

3. The boy, practically have to tie him down with duck tape.


IMG_7938 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr

4. Me


IMG_7926 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr
 
Ron..

how big is the reflector? How far away is the reflector from the subject. How far is the flash from the reflector?
 
cgipson1 said:
Ron..

how big is the reflector? How far away is the reflector from the subject. How far is the flash from the reflector?

They are makeshift about 2x3. Less than 4 feet from the subject left with the light about a foot away. The other reflector is about a foot from subject right side.
 
try moving the flash out from the reflector to about 24" or so.. maybe even use a diffuser on the flash (one of the pop on's, or the pull out WA diffuser if it has one). Need to soften that light up....
 
cgipson1 said:
try moving the flash out from the reflector to about 24" or so.. maybe even use a diffuser on the flash (one of the pop on's, or the pull out WA diffuser if it has one). Need to soften that light up....

Thanks Charlie, I will try that very soon. I did not have the pull out on it.
 
cgipson1 said:
try moving the flash out from the reflector to about 24" or so.. maybe even use a diffuser on the flash (one of the pop on's, or the pull out WA diffuser if it has one). Need to soften that light up....

Thanks Charlie, I will try that very soon. I did not have the pull out on it.

You are just getting some hard reflection of the light... cut that down, and it will make a difference.
 
cgipson1 said:
You are just getting some hard reflection of the light... cut that down, and it will make a difference.

Yes sir, I can do that. They are getting better, a step in the right direction.
 
Here are two from tonight. Please forgive me, this is the only model that will sit still long enough for me to practice.

1. flash diffuser and DIY diffuser bounced off the reflector with reflector on opposite side.


IMG_7988 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr

2. diffuser (DIY) bounced off the reflector with a reflector on the opposite side.


IMG_7979 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr
 
better but still not soft light.. lol! But soon.. right? ;)
 
Very soon. :hail: Question for you Charlie. These are with 1/4 and 1/8 power on the flash. Would it help to stop it down to 1/16 or 1/32 with both diffusers on? That makes it dark but I can either bump the ISO or go +2 stops in LR4 in post.
 
Very soon. :hail: Question for you Charlie. These are with 1/4 and 1/8 power on the flash. Would it help to stop it down to 1/16 or 1/32 with both diffusers on? That makes it dark but I can either bump the ISO or go +2 stops in LR4 in post.

try covering the reflector you are hitting with flash, with white paper towels, or even a white bath towel... see what happens
 
Wow.. much better! ;)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom