What's new

OCF, Helo me improve

Spam reported..... the text above was stolen from post #7 QUOTE=ronlane;2833765]Thanks Charlie, I sent you the message.[/QUOTE] There are 8 similar posts on the forum... probably a bot doing a spam lead in!
 
cgipson1 said:
Spam reported..... the text above was stolen from post #7 QUOTE=ronlane;2833765]Thanks Charlie, I sent you the message.
There are 8 similar posts on the forum... probably a bot doing a spam lead in![/QUOTE]

I was wondering why Donald was sending you one too.
 
Derrel said:
Far,far better!!!! 3 out of these latest four are decent-to-good. #'s 3 and #4 actually have decent lighting. The dude in em looks rugged and manly, even in a pink shirt!!!! The lighting on your face is actually decent!! The lighting pattern you set up with this light placement actually creates some visual "interest", and yes, the catchlight placement and the shadow placement is fine. A big,big improvement over yesterday. And keep in mind, self-portraiture is much more-challenging than shooting pics of another person!!!!

Decent lighting, do they need more or less? Move it up or down? Move me and or camera? I think I like the 85mm length better for me
 
cgipson1 said:
Spam reported..... the text above was stolen from post #7

Thanks Charlie, I sent you the message. There are 8 similar posts on the forum... probably a bot doing a spam lead in!

I was wondering why Donald was sending you one too.

Dumb spammers! AAaarrrggghhhh! I wish I could send them all to the salt mines! lol!
 
cgipson1 said:
Dumb spammers! AAaarrrggghhhh! I wish I could send them all to the salt mines! lol!

I hear ya. Now back to regularly scheduled programming. Help with the lighting. Same question as Derrel.
 
Okay, one more try tonight. I lowered the shutter speed on these. One with back light and one without. I was afraid of mixing the lights but I think this one worked good, what do you think?

1.


IMG_8087 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr

2.


IMG_8089 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr
 
What I would do is bounce your flash of the wall, put your reflector on opposite side of you for fill.


The way I learned was to put it at f11 1/160 and adjust your class accordingly. Then play with settings to see what you get.
 
What I would do is bounce your flash of the wall, put your reflector on opposite side of you for fill.


The way I learned was to put it at f11 1/160 and adjust your class accordingly. Then play with settings to see what you get.
 
Or bounce flash off ceiling and use reflector under and in front for bottom fill.
 
Thank you for the suggestions Geaux.
 
Ron.. do you have stands yet? You said you were bouncing flash off a wall, and into the umbrella, which was between you and the wall? Just trying to use it as a diffuser or something?
 
I used a DIY stand. (My Monopod has a tripod stand in it. So I put the flash on it and stood it up fully extended and shot it through without bouncing it. I set that on top of the dresser that is there to get the light about 8 feet in the air. I am going this weekend to look at stands and get one that will work. On the photos in the pink and camo, I did not bounce the light it was straight through the unbrella at 1/4th power.
 
Thanks Kundalini, I have read through that thread. I have been getting the same advice and am trying them all to achieve the results I want and improve.
 
How far is the flash from the umbrella? Is the flashhead zoomed out? How far away is the umbrella from you? Tell you what, I still have one of those umbrellas that I sent you.. I will set it up and play when I have some time... see what works.

Try taking a shot of the umbrella from the the subject side. See if you have even lighting on it... or obvious hot spots....
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom