What's new

OCF, Helo me improve

You said your reflector was 2'x3'? Not seeing that in your eyes. Catchlight is tiny.. you probably have it too far away... something that big should be very noticeable... try it at 2 feet, 3 feet and 4 feet.
 
I notice that too, that the catch light was going away. Other than that, is this what I should be looking for? I did move the light further way like you suggested yesterday.
 
I notice that too, that the catch light was going away. Other than that, is this what I should be looking for? I did move the light further way like you suggested yesterday.

Move the light about 18-24" from the reflector but keep the reflector as close as you can and still keep the flash out of the shot.
 
Charlie, I will do that. I thought that I would show you my makeshift set up.


IMG_8025 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr

Also, here is one with the reflector taken out and just bounce the light off the wall.


IMG_8021 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr
 
Another thing i notice, your flash head is still emitting direct light with whatever you put in front of the flash. If you dont want hard light, you want most light to be bounced. Position the head toward the bounced area 100% and make sure you have no direct light from the flash to the subject.
 
Good question Robin. I have no real answer other than trying to get light to the fill reflector on the other side of my face.
 
my bad.. i didnt read it carefully. So you did shoot it bounced off the wall.

Yes Sir, that last picture of me with the set up was bounced off the wall.

No need for the my bad, I appreciate the questions. If a photographer is asking me about things that I should have been thinking and I can answer, then I am on the right track. If I can't answer it, then I can ask for more explanation and learn from it. Either way, I'm getting better at this wonder hobby.
 
I came home today to a package that made me really happy. Inside was a couple of white umbrellas for my OCF. I was happy, happy, happy to say the least. So I set up really quickly and took a few portraits before I had to leave. Canon T3i, 24-135mm kits lens set at 53mm (with crop makes it 85mm) f5.6 1/100 shutter speed, sunpak flash with photix flash triggers.

1. I bounced the flash off the wall, the umbrella was between me and the wall. I left the reflector in front of my face to help fill a little bit.


IMG_8036 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr

2. Flash facing me shot through the umbrella.


IMG_8029 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr

Thank you Charlie for EVERYTHING and thanks to Derrel and Robin for the help. I am starting to see the difference in an okay shot and a good portrait.
 
Are these last two too dark? I can change that by bumping the ISO for the ambient light, correct?
 
Flash needs to be elevated a little bit higher....see the shadow your nose is casting, and the placement of the catchlights in the eyeballs??? Your nose's shadow is going upward, and touching the other eyeball...that's not a good look. You want that shadow to drop at a downward angle. Elevating the umbrella will help get that nose shadow going down-and-to-the-side AND will position the cacthlight higher in the eyeball, more near the top of the eyeball, and not so much at the "waterline" (lol). The last two with the light coming from a low angle give you a bit of a sinister look...which would actually be VERY GOOD if you were dressed in say, a Halloween costume, or were playing a villain or criminal in a play, or what have you.

In the first shot, you can literally SEE that the face is lighted by a large light source....see the BIG broad areas of the face lighted up, and with a very,very faint white sheen (specularity) to the skin across a large part of the entire facial structure? And see the, relatively, open shadows on the shirt and the shirt front? You are being illuminated by a LARGE light source, and there are very subtle clues that show this. The reflector fill also shows; look at the shadowed side of the head, and the shadow-side's ear--clearly, there is FILL light in action!!!

On shot #2, the shadows in the shirt,m and the shirt's front show "an umbrella" light setup. See how much more "shadowy" the lighting is? See the strong, clear nose shadow? This is a sort of Rembrandt-lighting type, if we want to try and pigeonhole it into a traditional "type" of lighting setup style. Again, the light is too low to make you look your best...

Does this help? I think the thing to note about BOUNCING light off of large poster board or walls is how it tends to make the face look "bright"...it adds, basically, a WHITE SHEEN, a shine, to the skin. It depends on if the subject has oily skin, or makeup on, or eyeglasses, or not; what is going on is that the light source itself, ie, the wall with the flash blasting it, is a rather "hot" source, and it creates a very subtle degree of specular reflection, and a large area of what is called "diffuse highlight", on the skin and other things. Depending on a few things, this look can be subtle, as it is here with just a speedlight, OR with a powerful flash unit, like say a 400 Watt-second to 1,600 Watt-second studio flash head, the effect can be that of a person being lighted up by a literal "wall of light". A great example of the wall of light look of bounced flash is in The Rangefinder magazine's January, 2013 on-line issue, beginning on page 70. Look at the "softlight Bounced" illustration of the woman. A Norman 2,000 W-S head bounced off of a 4x8 foamcore board, which is like a white wall.

Rangefinder - January 2013

0072_whbywo_fg.png
 
Yes this does help. I see the sheen that you are talking about in most of these photos. I was able to use LR4 to take most of it out but in a few cases, that caused dark photos. I thought that these were too dark after I stopped and looked at them. I will take more time with set up and changing the angles of my umbrella and light.

Thank you for the explanations and the patience.
 
Day 5, the question is, do you see improvement? Lighting today is up about 8 feet and just shot through the umbrella with it on 1/4th power. There is 1 headshot and 3 portraits at different ISO's.

1) 85mm at f5.6, 1/40th, 400 ISO


IMG_8057 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr

2) 85mm at f5.6, 1/80th, 200 ISO


IMG_8062 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr

3) 85mm at f5.6, 1/100th, 800 ISO


IMG_8073 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr

4) 85mm at f5.6, 1/100th, 400 ISO


IMG_8076 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr
 
Far,far better!!!! 3 out of these latest four are decent-to-good. #'s 3 and #4 actually have decent lighting. The dude in em looks rugged and manly, even in a pink shirt!!!! The lighting on your face is actually decent!! The lighting pattern you set up with this light placement actually creates some visual "interest", and yes, the catchlight placement and the shadow placement is fine. A big,big improvement over yesterday. And keep in mind, self-portraiture is much more-challenging than shooting pics of another person!!!!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom