OCF Start Up Kit

what are you going to be shooting?

I am mainly going to use it for outdoor portraits. Up until now, I have been relying on natural light alone or on camera flash--bouncing off a reflector or whatever else is available. I may also use it for plants ...

For portraits, we have 40" umbrella boxes and 43" brollys.
Both work well.

We use nikon sb700's and yn568ex flashes with yongnuo 622n radio triggers, which also work very well.

Thanks for the info! I am leaning on the boxes. I like the catchlights better. The beauty dish is also really nice, but more expensive.

For portraits, we have 40" umbrella boxes and 43" brollys.
Both work well.

We use nikon sb700's and yn568ex flashes with yongnuo 622n radio triggers, which also work very well.

The beauty dish is also really nice, but more expensive.

They seem to be really popular with fashion photogs.

I am going with the square for now. It is enough for what I need at this time. I found a pocketwizard two-pack for $198.00. The softbox and stand for $45.00. I already have a few reflectors and a speedlight to start. So, that puts me at half my original budget, which is great ...

Watch ebay. A few months ago I managed to get 2 nice Lowells light stands, westcott umbrellas, bag, and a few other things for $70
and here on TPF I picked up 2 SB-800s for $160ish each.
I also use a SU-800 to control them .. all for a bit over your $500 but it's doable if you get lucky.

now I just need time but that's harder to come by than equipment.

I am going with the square for now. It is enough for what I need at this time. I found a pocketwizard two-pack for $198.00. The softbox and stand for $45.00. I already have a few reflectors and a speedlight to start. So, that puts me at half my original budget, which is great ...

Every time I come in under budget, I just find something else to buy...

I have been looking on Craigslist. I saw a softbox on there this morning, but it was in the back of a truck with a bunch of junk? You would think anyone who is using one would know to advertise it a bit better than that!

Every time I come in under budget, I just find something else to buy...

LOL, I feel as if I am getting 50% off! :D

I have been looking on Craigslist. I saw a softbox on there this morning, but it was in the back of a truck with a bunch of junk? You would think anyone who is using one would know to advertise it a bit better than that!

A few years ago I picked up a mint condition sb24 for $20 and a mint condition nikon 18-105 VR for $50 at a flea market. Sometimes you just get lucky.

A few years ago I picked up a mint condition sb24 for $20 and a mint condition nikon 18-105 VR for $50 at a flea market. Sometimes you just get lucky.

Ooooh the flea market! We have a huge one every Saturday. I will have to go this weekend. Thanks for the idea.

What ever you do, do not buy light brackets on eBay. I made that mistake once and they've all broken. The light stands that they sell on eBay are decent enough. For umbrellas and brackets buy from Adorama, still pretty cheap and decent quality.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back