October 2017 Challenge

@darkblue-x; even if the contest was only about resolution and technical expertise, there is still the question of lens effect. Any contest that is so narrowly-defined as to discount mid-range sensors has more problems than one of mere judgement.

IMO, contests and photography in general are subjective enough that almost anything could win, especially given the current state of art education and appreciation.

No, this site has proven many times over that it's not about the size of one's sensor, but how you use it. Outstanding images can be created using nearly any device, as long as the photographer has a vision and is able to capture his concept on film/sensor. Conversely, we see more than a few shots that are "technically correct", but lacking said vision, are nothing special.

I say if you can press the shutter button, you have every right to post on here just as everybody else. So what if you don't win? Most don't win, yet they keep on posting.

@darkblue-x; even if the contest was only about resolution and technical expertise, there is still the question of lens effect. Any contest that is so narrowly-defined as to discount mid-range sensors has more problems than one of mere judgement.

IMO, contests and photography in general are subjective enough that almost anything could win, especially given the current state of art education and appreciation.

No, this site has proven many times over that it's not about the size of one's sensor, but how you use it. Outstanding images can be created using nearly any device, as long as the photographer has a vision and is able to capture his concept on film/sensor. Conversely, we see more than a few shots that are "technically correct", but lacking said vision, are nothing special.

I say if you can press the shutter button, you have every right to post on here just as everybody else. So what if you don't win? Most don't win, yet they keep on posting.
Not sure if any intention was misunderstood because I actually agree with everything you wrote.
Like when you said "given the current state of art education and appreciation"...I think thats what I find unfortunate and I feel that some platforms lets say other than here I see a lot of this issue. Heck thats why there are some digital mags called "underrated shots" and so on.

@darkblue-x , I have won the contest twice since I have been a member here. Trust them, it isn't at all about high-res images. Take a look at my posts. You'll see!
I second that. I think the couple times I won, I used film, then another time an entry level APC camera. Both times I was totally shocked I won.

One other thing on judging the images, at least for me, is the creativity and interpretation of the theme.

I wonder if there's some way to add some sort of countdown ticker into your signature.
It my be technically possible as a link; Not sure about TPF rules as it is like an animated image.

One other thing on judging the images, at least for me, is the creativity and interpretation of the theme.

I wonder if there's some way to add some sort of countdown ticker into your signature.
It my be technically possible as a link; Not sure about TPF rules as it is like an animated image.

Not really a second-by-second moving real-time ticker, but more of a "X days left!" that would only change day to day.

Not really a second-by-second moving real-time ticker, but more of a "X days left!" that would only change day to day.
I’ll see what I can find

I’ll see what I can find
When's the next contest?

I will admit--and this is my opinion..but voting could have been more spread out if people took more time to look at composition and lighting first instead of just IQ.
I don't quite understand what you mean by this. Image quality is based on composition and lighting, as well as a number of other aspects that are controlled only by the photographer and their subject. Sensor size and resolution have nothing to do with it. In my opinion, any time a photographer brings up sensor size, resolution, or general camera limitations as a reason they couldn't create a great image, I see it as a poor excuse and a major cop-out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back