# of exposures

I've tried to get one more on a roll of film and often as not end up with a partly overlapped double exposure! So I don't chance it unless I was just playing with the camera and don't have anything important at the end/beginning of the roll.

I think you might find it'll matter more the quality of the negatives, that they're properly exposed and not too dense or too thin, that they're well framed, etc. than how many you got on a roll. What's going to matter more by the end of the semester? Probably the quality of your work. Learn how to get the best you can out of those frames of film.

Shoot 4x5 then you will know exactly how many exposures you get every time you put film in the camera...

On any note it depends on the camera, the loading mechanics and the roll its self. In my experience 35-38 exposures is possible. My Rolle 35 which is the smallest full frame 35mm camera has almost no excess spooling distance, as such you can easily get 37-38 exposures on a roll before hitting the end. Some wider bodies, if spooled liberally will only shoot 35 exposures on a roll. There is no hard guarantee that you will get 36 exposures as there is no accepted spool to spool distance. There has also been a fair bit of variance in the cut of 35mm end taper over the years which effects how you load some older cameras as well.

If your looking to pinch pennies shoot half frame Olympus pen-f etc.

If your looking to pinch pennies shoot half frame Olympus pen-f etc.
Actually if you're looking to pinch pennies don't use film at all. An older digital camera will cost very little per frame, without excessive capital cost at the start. It won't give you the joys of film but you can't have everything.

Actually if you're looking to pinch pennies don't use film at all. An older digital camera will cost very little per frame, without excessive capital cost at the start. It won't give you the joys of film but you can't have everything.

Agreed, but in context here I assumed they were trying to shoot film specifically, on the cheap.

I know its an old thread but there is some oddities in the film world.

For example i found this thread and i counted the frames on the roll of new shipment arista edu 400 iso 35mm film i bought in december, and just developed.

39 frames on it. and 5 inches of exposed leader. the first frame is partially killed due to not being fully wound into the film canister on my ftb. i wanted to prevent loosing the leader inside the canister.

i just dont do the load film to red mark, close door, work advance, fire shutter, film advance, fire shutter, advance film, fire shutter, see if the film counter dial is on the first shot mark.

i load the film, close the door, advance once, fire shutter, advance once, fire shutter. then proceede to shoot but make sure the first image or to is a non critical thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back