Off-camera flash and ballroom event

gossamer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have an event coming up with about 250 women in a non-profit and I've been given the opportunity to be the (volunteer) photographer. Yikes. I have a D500 with a 24-70mm and a 70-200mm.

I'd like to set up two off-camera wireless flashes. I have two Flashpoint 600's with octoboxes, but I'm not sure that's the best for a ballroom type of environment. They also include built-in wifi remote trigger. I'll also be doing some profile and group pics and will probably need them for that.

First, are these the type of flashes you would use for this, or more like a set of SB-5000's? I already have an SB-700 and would likely purchase an SB-5000 to go with it. How can I use the wifi transmitter included with the Flashpoints with my Nikon flashes?

Do you have any recommendations for a better diffuser for the Flashpoints for this purpose?

Last edited:
First, are these the type of flashes you would use for this, or more like a set of SB-5000's? I already have an SB-700 and would likely purchase an SB-5000 to go with it. How can I use the wifi transmitter included with the Flashpoints with my Nikon flashes?
Flashpoint, yes.

Not necessarily on the SB-5000. If you already have Flashpoint(s) and octoboxes, use them.

Slave mode. You should need only one trigger if you set everything else to slave mode. Does your SB-700 speedlight have that? If not, get some SB-26's. Average price seems to run around $45 to $75 each.

Use the flashpoint xplor 600s. If they ceiling is a neutral color then put the lights in opposite corners of the ballroom aimed at the ceiling and you’ll light the whole room up pretty well.

Don’t use th octaboxes, use the stock 7” reflextorn get more light output. The Ceiling then turns into your giant soft light source.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back