Off camera flash NOT SYNCED to camera...is it possible ?

dag221

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've done some research on the internet and this forum but haven't found a thread about this specific question. Apologies if it has been discussed before or if the answer is super basic and I am just unable to figure it out.

Basically I am looking for a way to set up a flash on a light stand and remotely fire it INDEPENDENTLY of the camera. I do a lot of long exposure shooting at night and want to figure out a way to activate the flash when I need it during the exposure. Preferably with a wireless remote of some sort. I have a Cowboy Studio remote flash setup but from what I can tell it has to be hooked to the camera and then used as a slave to fire the remote flash. I want to be able to fire the flash completely independent of my camera. If it helps any at all in the discussion I use a Canon 30D camera with Canon 420 and 580 flashes at my disposal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Dag221
Georgia, USA

Look for rear curtain sync or second curtain sync.

is there not a "test" button on your transmitter? What do you mean by the "Cowboy Studio remote flash setup" you have? Is it a wireless transmitter and receiver or no? For example, I have the yongnuo RF-602 wireless flash triggers and my transmitter has a button that allows me to trigger the remote flash even if the transmitter is not hooked to the camera. I think most of the wireless trigger systems out there have this functionality.

I figured it out !!
Well, at least let us know what you did to figure it out. Someone else may have the same issue.

I'm guessing you figured out that you could use the test button on the trigger...;)

At least it's not as bad as the 15 page thread on POTN. The guy in that one had the pocket wizard on backwards and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. 15 pages later...

Cowboy studio trigger cant do 2nd curtain.

If it is long enough exposure I just use the test button.

Most reactions

Back