off camera flash options

anything you synth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been really interested in purchasing an off-camera flash, as the on camera flash is becoming increasingly irritating. I have a Canon Xsi, and all i've really seen from canon is their speedlite series, which is very pricey imo. Are there other options, other than the canon speedlites? I dont need a high-end flash, because im just a beginner, but i would like something that would give me better results.
thanks!

I've been thinking the same thing, so I'll just wait arround for the suggestions... :)

The advantage of the Canon flashes is that you can use their ETTL metering system which automatically sets the power output of the flash to get the proper exposure. With other brand flashes you will probably have to use the flash in manual mode.

oh, i see what you're saying. i'll probably end up buying a speedlite then, because it will probably prove more useful in the long run. also, what do you think about the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 ? im debating between that and a 50mm f/1.8

or is there another lens i should be considering? i dont have THAT much to spend, but i'd like to upgrade from my kit lens

To be honest, I don't think the speedlights are that pricey. Once you spend a significant amount of time shooting with a full manual flash (still do and they produce wonderful results), you will realize just how much "intelligence" is built into the E-TTL metering system (or iTTL for nikonians).

You do have other options...

* Any xsync hotshoe flash should work given the flash doesn't exceed the XSI's trigger voltage (has Canon addressed that yet?). You'll be operating in full manual and have to stay below the max sync shutter speed of the camera. People who go this route generally will either enjoy the full control and manual aspect or end up missing all the auto-features in the ETTL flashes (end up purchasing one anyways).
* Consider the older 550EX and 420EX flashes used. Still great flashes and at bargain prices ever since the 580EX and 430EX flashes replaced them.
* Some third party manufacturers have reversed engineered the E-TTL and incorporated its functionality in their own flashes. I've heard of compatibility issues in the past but I don't know about the present day. You'll have to do your research.

oh, i see what you're saying. i'll probably end up buying a speedlite then, because it will probably prove more useful in the long run. also, what do you think about the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 ? im debating between that and a 50mm f/1.8

or is there another lens i should be considering? i dont have THAT much to spend, but i'd like to upgrade from my kit lens

Get the 50mm f/1.8. Call it a day. Learn with what you have and later decide what photos you want to take and that should determine which equipment needs to be purchased (not the other way around).

Get the 50mm f/1.8. Call it a day. Learn with what you have and later decide what photos you want to take and that should determine which equipment needs to be purchased (not the other way around).

thanks for your input. i had originally wanted the 50mm anyways, so i think i'll be going with that.

yeah, thats what i've been seeing everywhere about it. i think it will be a very suitable option for me.

The 50mm 1.8 is certainly a great lens at a great price. My first lens upgrade from the kit lens was the Sigma 18-200. It's a nice walk around lens and very versatile too. I think it was around $500.

I'm usually a big advocate of quality third party options, but if you plan on using the flash in auto-mode (ETTL) then I think it's really worth purchasing a Canon brand flash. My experience is that I get better results when I pair a Canon body and flash of the same vintage. For instance with the XSi get a 430EX II or 580EX II rather than the older mk I models.

I'm usually a big advocate of quality third party options, but if you plan on using the flash in auto-mode (ETTL) then I think it's really worth purchasing a Canon brand flash. My experience is that I get better results when I pair a Canon body and flash of the same vintage. For instance with the XSi get a 430EX II or 580EX II rather than the older mk I models.

+1

I bought and used Vivitar 285HV's for my off camera flash work, but I bought a 580EX II for when I needed something to think for me.

If you're using off camera flash and setting the units manually, look at old Vivitar 283's and Nikon SB 28's on E-bay. They're not flashes you'll want to attach to your camera, so paying $35-$80 won't be all that bad for them. If you ever want a flash to plop on the camera for events or whatever, pick up atleast a 430ex.

a good flash is worth its weight in gold. I was thinking of going cheap as well, when i was looking for a flash, and saw the price of the canon line. But I went with the Canon 430Ex-II and i thank god everytime I use it that i went the 'smart' route. Good flash lighting is something you can only appreciate once you have a quality flash. I wish I had more money so i could have gotten the next one up, but this one does me perfectly fine.

a good flash is worth its weight in gold. I was thinking of going cheap as well, when i was looking for a flash, and saw the price of the canon line. But I went with the Canon 430Ex-II and i thank god everytime I use it that i went the 'smart' route. Good flash lighting is something you can only appreciate once you have a quality flash. I wish I had more money so i could have gotten the next one up, but this one does me perfectly fine.

But if you're going to buy a flash for using off camera and setting the power manually, then what's the point on purchasing a $400 580EX II?

i dont really think he meant off camera, as in a flash that is to be used remotely. I think he meant it as in a flash that is not part of the camera, which any hot shoe flash is.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back