Off Camera Flash...

GrantH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking at a couple budget flashes for my camera, in particular I am looking at the YN-465/7 flashes. I would like e-ttl for the automated setup as opposed to full manual. I don't want to spend a fortune on a flash but would like to experiment with flash for "product" photography (beer!).

If I am using an e-ttl flash, all I need is the cable and/or wireless remotes...correct? I just want to know that I order what I need to begin. I plan on building a light-tent as shown on DIYPhoto as a beginning point.

Can anyone recommend anything else? I'm not real clear on the differences between the 5 and 7. It seems the 7 can be a slave, has a faster recycle, and allows for zoom. Do lenses typically come with a cable to connect to the camera or should I plan on buying one to accompany the flash?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I'm not familiar with the operation of those flashes, but if you're shooting product photography, manual strobes are the way to go.

I'd hold off buying anything until you've done a little more research. I think from the model #s that you've posted this are Nissan flashes? From what I've heard, they're about what you'd expect quality and performance-wise for the price.

As VI stated, if you're doing product work (or really almost any flash work), manual exposure is the way to go. If you're really budget-restricted the Adorama Flash-point series of strobes is a great entry point, or you can look at something like a few old Sunpak or Metz grip flashes which have a high guide number and the ability to run off of 'AA' batteries or household current.

Lenses don't normally have any way of connecting with a flash (unless you're using a very old system, or medium format gear with leaf shutters). Connection to the flash by cable is either made by PC cable if your body is equipped, or a hot-shoe cable, both of which are purchased separately.

If you're using off-camera TTL flash, and your camera has the ability to trigger remote flashes than you won't need anything (assuming you keep your other flashes in line of sight to your main/master/commander flash). If you're going manual (as recommended) your best bet will be radio triggers. The Cactus triggers are in expensive and reliable. You will require at least one transmitter and one receiver, although ideally, a receiver for each off-camera flash used.

Just an added point of opinion: The generic/cheap flashes work fairly well in manual mode, but I personally haven't had much luck with ttl. If you don't have the budget for better gear I'm sure you can still learn a lot with a basic manual flash/radio trigger setup, but keep in mind you will eventually want better functionality and will likely end up wanting to upgrade later on down the road. (Like I do)

If you are planning on frequent use of e-ttl, I would suggest a genuine canon flash. I have tried several "aftermarket" brands (yongnuo, quantaray, nissin) and nothing matches the accuracy and consistency of my friend's 430exII. My next big purchase will likely be 2 of those and some ttl capable pocketwizards.

Manual mode, both camera and speedlight, will deliver better and more consistant "product" shots than TTL will, even if you use Canon eTTL capable speedlights.

For "product" shots you'll need to do OCF (Off Camera Flash) and modify the light. TTL, OCF with your T1i will require you get an optical (IR) trigger like Canon ST-E2 Speedlite Transmitter for Canon 580EX II, 430EX, 430EX II Speedlites

or radio triggering units like PocketWizard MiniTT1 Radio Transmitter for Canon TTL Flashes and Digital SLR Cameras

Pocket Wizard FlexTT5 Transceiver For Canon TTL Flashes and Digital SLR Cameras

PocketWizard PWP-TR 801-125 PLUS II Transceiver (Black)

Third party camera gear makers are not given access to camera maker proprietary technical information, so the 3rd party gear makers have to reverse engineer their stuff which can leave some gaps in technical performance. Pocket Wizards had a lot of problems getting the MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 to work with Canon cameras, but it seems that is now past.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use Nikon, but the new Nissin di622 Mark II I bought works awesome with i-TTL and was $199 through Amazon.

Most reactions

Back