Oh no..? Yep, I've done it...

For sure you need a flash. Especially one that has the focus assist beam function. If I only allow to pick 1 item, I will choose the flash.

Such great informatkon guys! Thanks a ton! ISO 400 + gets noisy fast. I hope to buy a flash and rent the lens. . I hope I kick ass at this wedding. :) you guys are a big help. Thanks.

A few things:

- That shutter = 1/focal lenght guide. The way I was told is that its 1/you MAX focal lenght, not your used focal lenght. So an 18-55 would be 1/60 whether its at 18mm or 55mm.

Well, if you think about it... If you have an 18-200mm zoom (brand unimportant), would you need to shoot above 1/200th at any focal length? Since at the long end, you're more likely to sway and notice the movement in the frame, and zoomed out you can't see camera shake nearly as much.

I always go by the 1/used focal length and that's worked fine for me.

Do I spot focus on the person when using the speedlight?

Nah, **** it. Just use E-TTL and adjust flash compensation for taste. You don't want to be dicking around with flash settings in the middle of a wedding. Unless you're versed in flash use.

First what I see from your exif.

1. The shutter speed is WAY too slow.
2. The WB is set to daylight??? I think you should set it to auto; unless you know your camera better.

3. Is it possible the church will let you set up some kind of lighting back further from the front of the church???

4. Your 50mm is the lens you have that is better suited. If you rent a lens, I have the 24-70 - you may want to rent it a couple of days earlier and ask the church if you can practice a few shots with it. This lens will not be the cure all answer though.

5. I would take it out of AI and use 1 shot. There are others here more experienced and may dispute this...believe them over me. ;)

Me, I would rent a fast 35mm, as fast as you can afford, all will be much happier. Remember you are using a 1.6 crop camera. (35 x 1.6 = 56mm)

**I do not photograph weddings or people. When I have shot indoors (people) I realized the faster the better the image. Also, depending on how close you are shooting from, watch the power of the flash, you may want to ratchet it down a little.

Speedlight. All the way. Flash, not fluorescent. You need a good flash unit. All of your slow-speed, hand-held shots show camera shake. Add together people in motion, and the dim lighting in there is a recipe for disaster if shooting hand-held with slow lenses.

If you are buying a flash, I have the 430EX II. While not as powerful as the 580, and the back is not as easy to change the functions, its still a very capable flash. While I plan on getting the 580, if you are stuck for cash and you dont plan on getting into weddings and such, the 430 is an option.

Dont get me wrong, if you have the cash, get the 580 hands down. But the cash difference might mean you can rent that 24-70 for the wedding.

Sunpak pz42x is the flash I'm thinking of getting. (Buying a used <5 times, but still box and everything.)

I think you need to go to custom function and lock the aperture priority mode to 1/200-1/60 (or even lock it to only 1/200) shutter speeds with flash. Then keep shooting with aperture priority. Thats what I would do if you are afraid of using manual mode.

I'm not afraid of using manual mode. Was planning on it actually. Just trying to get an idea of my settings before I do.

Forget about using manual especially if you are still really new with flash. I would use TV mode and set it to 1/60 shutter speed. Set the ISO to 400. Use your flash on E-TTL mode if you have external flash. If you dont , then use your built in flash. Use the 1/60 shutter speed only when your subject arent really moving (standing at the altar). If they start to move around, change it to 1/200.

By doing that, you only have to worry about 1 thing, shutter speed. Dont use the P mode, your shutterspeed will be too slow at most scenarios.

Sunpak pz42x is the flash I'm thinking of getting. (Buying a used <5 times, but still box and everything.)

If it make it more financially feasible, I will loan you my 580EXii. I will ship it to you at your expense and it comes back in one piece. ;)

I would like to hear of a success story after the wedding, rather than of a lousy experience.

That is extremely kind of you. Does that mean I shouldn't get the flash I said, or just not for this?

I am not trying to keep you from purchasing the flash, if that is what you want. I am offering this if it will make it more viable for you before the wedding.
I do not know much about the flash you are thinking of purchasing.

Most reactions

Back