OH YEAH, That One Guy

That One Guy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone. You all know me......I'm that one guy......you know.....that one guy who is a friend of that other guy......lol

This forum seems like a very educational place for a newbie to photography, like me, to be. I say newbie, but I have been around film SLRs for about 2yrs and DSLRs for about a yr. But I am new to lighting and i am very interested in learning about photography.

OK, I have a lighting question for ya here, but first let me tell you about my camera/equipment and then what kind of photography I would like to do.

Cameras: Digital rebel XT & elan 7e
Lens: for DSLR: the kit lens 18-55mm. Film SLR: sigma 70-300mm and sigma 18-55mm
Strobe: britek 500ws strobe ( which i cant use yet because i am not sure of the sync speed on it )...bought on ebay and currently trigger it with the internal flash......though none of my pics turn out at all with it and i think sync speed may have something to do with it.

type of photography i would like to do: portrait and buildings, landscapes, etc.....mainly portraits.....i would like to open a studio someday.

here's my question:
I have about $800 to spend on lighting......should I go with a couple of alienbees (B800) or a couple of speedlites?

The reason I threw the speedlites in is because I like the idea of it being portable and I could use them both on cam and off. Price-wise they are both about the same.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you and have a nice day :)

Sideburns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
What speed have you tried for your strobes? 1/125 is too fast? Or is your aperture way too small?

OP
That One Guy

That One Guy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
honestly i didnt even think about aperture. i will play around with it tonite and see what happens. i bought this strobe on ebay and it does work but for some reason it doesnt show in the pics and i cant find any specs on it.

i will try again going thru the speeds and with different apertures.

thank you for the suggestion sideburns.....much appreciated :wink:

Peanuts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brittanyesther.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
If you are doing preplanned portraiture, I would say go for the bees. If you are doing weddings, photojournalism, go speedlights :)

OP
That One Guy

That One Guy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
If you are doing preplanned portraiture, I would say go for the bees. If you are doing weddings, photojournalism, go speedlights :)

thank you for the reply. i think i will get the bees :)

OP
That One Guy

That One Guy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I figured out my britek strobe......works great :)

I will add a b800 bee and 1 speedlite now that I got my britek working.

thanks to all who have replied. Have a great day.:wink:

Most reactions

New Topics