OK, all you holga folks ...

drlynn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So, I finally broke down and bought a (non-modified) Holga. It should be here by Friday, and so now I'm looking for advice.

Where are the most important places to tape for light leaks, etc? Is there any special TLC that will keep it from falling apart after the 1st roll? Is there a good way to modify the frame so it will take 6x6 shots?

Any other advice?

Everywhere but the lens, and maybe that too.

Okay, I'm not really sure. I haven't used mine a lot. I did cut the insert for 6x6, though. I don't have a picture, but I think it was pretty simple to plot out where it needed to be cut.

I was kinda hoping that part would be fairly straightforward. It would seem that trimming 3/4cm off of the 2 narrow sides would be the thing to do.

I've also heard of people who bought flat black paint to coat the inside in an effort to reduce reflections and cut down on some of the light spots on the negs.

I assume this is a medium format camera? Im not familiar with the names of the medium and large format cameras.

Someone was talking about a medium format camera in this or another forum and I did a search but its a cheap plastic one with a fixed plastic lense. Is this camera more of a slr sort of thing that lets you use real glass lenses, etc?

Im just curious how much descent medium format camera's are, perhaps used. :0)

Gerry,

Holgas are cheap plastic toy cameras with plastic lenses. They take 120 film, so yea, it's medium format.

They are very popular among the "artsy" crowd due to the softness, vignetting, etc.

As for decent medium format cameras, the cheapest way to go and get good quality is a used TLR, such as a Yashica-MAT. They go for around $75-100 on eBay.

There are some TLR's to be found that are less expensive (eg Seagull and some older Russian models which are popular on eBay), but I have heard that image quality is not as good as the Yashica.

Or else a good MF folder. ksmattfish has several different models, and would be a better source of what to buy, what to avoid there than I would.

oriecat said:
You don't need to cut anything, you just pull the insert out and then it makes it 6x6 and gives the Holga vignetting.
But the film doesn't lie flat then. May not be important if you're going for the "messed up camera" look, but it can make trying to get at least something in focus a bear. At least for me, since it's a guessing game to start with.

Although you could take out the insert and not wind the film until just before you take the next picture, using the take-up reel to pull the film flat. You'd have to get into the habit of doing it every time in order to prevent double exposures, though.

The only tape I use is to keep the back for falling off. Also I have little or none light leeks or vignetting, but I have only shot 645 so far

markc said:
But the film doesn't lie flat then. May not be important if you're going for the "messed up camera" look, but it can make trying to get at least something in focus a bear. At least for me, since it's a guessing game to start with.

I've never really had issue, but you can also then put a little piece of cardboard under the film spool and it keeps it from moving.

Also I have little or none light leeks or vignetting, but I have only shot 645 so far

Yeah, I got no leaks at all when shooting with the insert in. But then you also don't get the vignetting which is such an important part of the Holga experience.

Honey, I've run infrared through mine, so I KNOW I'm light-tight with that thing! :wink:

I had a buddy of mine who is a fellow enthusiast put little pieces of tape on the inside over 2 little holes on either side. He crafted a little "window" of tape for over the counter, too, which may or may not have been overkill, but again.....no leaks with the Konica IR.

And of course I tape the back sides and along the top. Gosh it sounds like such a PITA, but it really is so simplistic, it doesn't bother me at all.

Have fun with it! Color film looks pretty groovy, too, with the vignetting effect. My buddy showed a color portrait he took of his dad in his garden with that camera, and it was, in a word, stunning. A LOT can be done with the little camera....treat it with respect, even though it's :roll: "a cheap plastic toy", ok??? And, you know, don't forget to take the lens cap off. :p

I forget to advice the film or to check frame number before I starting winding
Also some film brands are near imposable to read the numbers thru the window

Jeff Canes said:
I forget to advice the film or to check frame number before I starting winding
Also some film brands are near imposable to read the numbers thru the window

I hear ya! :sillysmi: It's the ultimate in shooting "manual", isn't it? :wink:

Thanks for all the advice, Jef, Terri and Orie!

And, Terri, no offense meant with the "cheap, plastic toy camera" remark.
I wasn't trying to demean the art of holgography :wink: , I was just trying to keep Gerry from misunderstanding what a Holga is and isn't.

I didn't want him to find one on B&H for $16.99 and think he's getting a steal/deal on a startup medium format outfit. :D

Thanks again, everyone!

Most reactions

Back