ok.. now what

Why a DSLR? I don't really see the point of spending $800 on a camera when i dont even have the basics down yet. my skills need alot of improvement before i go to that. the only advantage i see from that is manual focus and a higher resolution.
Speeking of manual forcus/zoom. is there any way to get certian effects on a point and shoot camera, like you can on a manual zoom? I dont know what it is called but i have seen people slow the shutter speed way down, and go from one end of the zoom to the other. it makes the light streak and gives a motion to the shot.

The reason they are pushing for a DSLR is because you have a lot more control. With a point & shoot (p&s), all you can really do is point, and shoot. Settings like shutter speed, aperture, and ISO are either limited or non-existant.

For example. The first two images have blown skies. If you had a DSLR, you could up the shutter speed to bring the exposure of the sky down (you would have to use a flash or other light source to bring up the exposure on the wood). With a P&S, your only option is to wait for the "golden hour" (one hour before sunset or the hour after sunrise) so the sky isn't so bright.

You can pick up used DSLRs for less than $350 with a kit lens.

Why a DSLR? I don't really see the point of spending $800 on a camera when i dont even have the basics down yet. my skills need alot of improvement before i go to that. the only advantage i see from that is manual focus and a higher resolution.
Speeking of manual forcus/zoom. is there any way to get certian effects on a point and shoot camera, like you can on a manual zoom? I dont know what it is called but i have seen people slow the shutter speed way down, and go from one end of the zoom to the other. it makes the light streak and gives a motion to the shot.

Who says you have to spend $800?
I just bough my dSLR for $340. The difference between a point and shoot and even a cheap dSLR is night and day.

Work in progressions. Start with non moving objects such as flowers, trees, vines, landscapes, slow bugs, etc.etc. Then post and practice. Move up to moving bugs, pets, birds, running people. Then post and practice. Then work at portraits, street events and people, fiends, relatives. Then post and practice. As you progress so does your gear to accomidate. Post and practice. Along the way you might say to your self this is where I like and want to stay them maybe not.
Go out with the intention on working on lighting or focus or the exposure triangle, take lots of pictures at different angles, post then practice more.
Above all enjoy those pictures that truly come alive with your camera knowing you took them.
Enjoy and looking forward to seeing those posts.:thumbup:

PS:My Rebel was on Ebay for $300;)

Ok, so i noticed that there were some cool looking cloud formations and a interisting mix of colors at sunset. I thought to myself, that would make a good picture, so i went and got the camera. Could I take the picture? Noooo there wasnt enough light, aparently my camera thought it was pitch black outside. I now see the reason for a better camera... So sony dSLR or cannon rebel to start out? What do all of these ebay listings mean when they say just the body? like no lense??

Last edited:
Ok, so i noticed that there were some cool looking cloud formations and a interisting mix of colors at sunset. I thought to myself, that would make a good picture, so i went and got the camera. Could I take the picture? Noooo there wasnt enough light, aparently my camera thought it was pitch black outside. I now see the reason for a better camera... So sony dSLR or cannon rebel to start out? What do all of these ebay listings mean when they say just the body? like no lense??
If you go with an entry level dslr i.e. a Rebel xt you will want a lens with it. Generally it will be the kit 18-55. Those cameras sold with body only expect you have the lenses to go with it. Go to you local camera store and look at each brand's entry level, get a feel for it, get pricing then research it on the internet for reviews. This will help you if you choose to buy off ebay. Do not buy from an Ebay seller with a rating less than 98-99%. You might be able to buy locally sometimes i.e.craig list but be very careful. Most importantly tho is do the research on it.

Who says you have to spend $800?
I just bough my dSLR for $340. The difference between a point and shoot and even a cheap dSLR is night and day.
Yep, pretty much just like the difference between a cheap $340 dSLR and an $800 dSLR is night and day.

ok what does "slr and Dslr" mean?
for the time being a new camera is probably not going to happen. my other two toys are taking up all my fun money. 3k for a gun,$30 a week in shells along with a dirtbike and track fees add up fast. Maybe if i stay away from the bike for a few months i can save up... not shooting isnt an option, I need to get my scores up for a college scholarship or a sponsor. I have a 35mm with a few lenses laying around somewhere, would that due till i can get a dslr?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back