OK, really stupid question.....

kidchill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tripcphotos.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I finally got a 1.4 lens that actually has an aperture ring. When I put that on the body, do I need to fully open it? I think I read that somewhere, but I'm not totally sure....I know, I know...It's a stupid question, but I've never used a lens with the ring....

I'm not sure, so I tried my best at googling some info.

Does this quote answer your question?
Unless you have a OLD AI/AIS MF lens, on all AF lenses you have to use the camera to change the aperture in any mode (M A S P). You need to put the aperture ring to the highest number and on M and A change the aperture from the camera.

Kinda helps...I read that in the manual...But I thought I read somewhere that you have to completely open or close the aperture when you actually physically attach it to the body...I just don't wanna jack-up my new lens!! ;)

I finally got a 1.4 lens that actually has an aperture ring. When I put that on the body, do I need to fully open it? I think I read that somewhere, but I'm not totally sure....I know, I know...It's a stupid question, but I've never used a lens with the ring....
It depends on your camera and what exposure mode you're in. If it's P or S mode, set it at it's smallest aperture. If it's A or M mode, set it at the aperture you want to shoot at.

I know with any Nikon DSLR any lens with an aperture ring is to be set on the smalest aperture at all times. The body has knobs that are used to control the aperture in A or M. I would assume this is the case with Canon as well but I cannot be sure.

Okay...it isn't about controlling the aperture. When I physically attach the lens to the camera body, does the aperture need to be wide open?
I'm not sure what you're asking. When you attach the lens, the camera opens it for viewing and focusing no matter where you set the aperture ring.

If it's an AF or AF-D lens, you'll need to set the aperture to minimum (f/16 probably on an f/1.4), otherwise you'll get an error. Then use the aperture lock so that it doesn't slip off. If it's an older AI or AI-S lens then it'll only meter on your D300 and you'll need to manually open and close the aperture.

No, your aperture does not need to be wide open unless your camera has no depth of field preview. That would be the only reason for opening the aperture first. On modern lenses (anything less than 40 years old) you twist or thread the lens onto the camera body and, even with the aperture stopped all the way down, this mounting motion precludes the need to open the lens up before mounting it to the camera body. So, in short, NO.

jerk mode on

RTFM I'm sure it tells you what to do in there.

jerk mode off

Yeah that is jerk mode because in the many years I worked at RItz this was problem came up on a weekly basis. If you have ever read a Nikon manual you will see they are pretty complicated for most people to comprehend and what may seem simple to you can totally perplex even the most tech savvy person whomay have over looked such a simple thing. I think turning on your camera and seeing F EE flashing and not knowing what to do can be very frustrating and make anyone start pulling their hair out and instantly assuming they are oing to have some kind of huge repair bill.

Actually I did read the manual...In english, japanese, german, french....and whatever that weird other writing was. It just said to leave it in f/16 for A/S/P mode...I just thought I had read somewhere that to physically attach the lens (not to use it in any special way) that the aperture needed to be all the way open. That's all. My question wasn't about shooting at all. Literally, it was just attaching the lens.

Yeah that is jerk mode because in the many years I worked at RItz this was problem came up on a weekly basis. If you have ever read a Nikon manual you will see they are pretty complicated for most people to comprehend and what may seem simple to you can totally perplex even the most tech savvy person whomay have over looked such a simple thing. I think turning on your camera and seeing F EE flashing and not knowing what to do can be very frustrating and make anyone start pulling their hair out and instantly assuming they are oing to have some kind of huge repair bill.

I have a Nikon and did read the manual. It seemed pretty simple to me. :shrug:

I apologize if my comment came off more "jerky" than it was intended. My point was that usually most "stupid questions" are answered by reading the manual.

Plus it was the same response that I got when I asked a n00b question right after I got my D80. Nobody seemed put off then.

I'm sorry to have offended anybody. ever. At any point in my life.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back