Old Barn - Color or B&W?

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by Destin, Feb 25, 2018.

?

Which Edit do you prefer?

Poll closed Mar 18, 2018.
  1. Color

38.5%
  2. B&W

61.5%
  1. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've been wanting to photograph this barn with a nice sunrise for a few weeks now. Went out today and the sunrise didn't pan out as planned so I threw on my 6 stop ND filter to get some movement in the otherwise boring sky. Photo was taken with my D810, 24-70 G2 @24mm, iso 200, f/8, 121 seconds.

I'm not super happy with the composition, but I couldn't find a good way to include the fence and it looked boring with just the barn.

Planned to make it B&W from the start, but sort of liked the color version as well. Which do you prefer? Other C&C is also very welcome. Thanks for taking the time to look!

1.)
    [​IMG]

2.)
    [​IMG]

2. zulu42

zulu42 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Very nice. I voted color because I think it brings out more detail in the grass and barn.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kalgra

kalgra TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I definitely prefer the BW.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ceemac

ceemac No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm going with colour, probably because the blue fence wire really makes the picture stronger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Cortian

Cortian No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, the sky's more interesting in colour and the rest is pretty much a toss up between the two, so I'm going to go with colour.

Also: Part of what makes old barns interesting, at least to me, is the the patina they gain over time, and this shot's too long to take full advantage of that. What you can see of it is more evident in the colour version.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    color

7. WesternGuy

WesternGuy Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Black and white for me, but then I am slightly biased. I would, however, probably increase the contrast/Clarity just a bit in the B&W one.

WesternGuy

• Like Like x 2
  8. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think the blue is too vibrant and overpowers the scene (because there's not much other color there, just tan and brown). Actually, looking again, the barn looks bluish, especially the roof.

I'd go with B&W but try to adjust the contrast some. It just basically is a lot of browns, but there is some contrast there, mostly in the fence being darker near the center of the image, along the horizon line, and the small square of black interior of the barn. That's about all the dark there is, mostly once you remove color there's going to be a long strip of black/dark gray horizontally across the composition, and a whole lot of grays. Rather challenging this time of year I think.

edit - I almost think I might reshoot it sometime, and try framing differently to keep that post close to the camera at the bottom of the frame out of the photo. I'd probably walk around and see what other ways I could frame the scene.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  9. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Don't get me wrong the B&W is good, but the color wins hands down, because without color, you leave out that last element of the composition - the Blue.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    True, but I think that blue is too much of a good thing! With some adjustment maybe, or if the grass was green, it wouldn't be so overpowering. And the roof needs to not be bluish.

I think the original plan for a nice sunrise was a good idea, mother nature just doesn't always cooperate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Normally I'd agree with you, but as I said earlier, the blue is an additional element, every bit as important as the other elements. In color theory, cool colors ( like Blues) recede, and warm colors (like reds) advance. The Blue of the sky adds depth, while the reds (in the brown grass and building) advance. But there's more, normally a strong highly saturated blue will advance even if it's cool, but in this case the mix of earth tones forces it to recedes again. I say this is one of the better examples of color theory in action that I've seen in awhile. Great job @Destin. An interesting read on color theory How Colors Advance and Recede in Art - science of colour

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Peeb

Peeb Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

I much prefer the b/w, personally. I find the sky more interesting that way.

• Informative Informative x 1