Old barn I found

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I found this old barn tonight. I plan on going back here when it's light out (these were taken at night - 300 & 120 sec exposure, respectively).

IMG_6736-resized.jpg

IMG_6738-resized.jpg

Just the fact that I got acceptable focus is good, considering how dark it was. These were taken at about 2130-2200 - exif probably has the time.

Very interesting looking forward to seeing more. I love old barns and fences.
Troy

Looks like a really interesting location I look forward to seeing more pics :) I have one question though, how did you stumble upon this place when it was dark out? Just curious

Looks like a really interesting location I look forward to seeing more pics :) I have one question though, how did you stumble upon this place when it was dark out? Just curious

Oh, you know... Too much to drink, ambition to find new photo ops, desire to hike...

Mostly too much to drink, lol.

Just before sunset I decide to set out into the woods for photos... Well, it got dark quicker than I thought it would. Me being me, just because it's dark isn't a reason to turn around.
I pushed through the woods (it really was a push), and came across this.

I've hiked these woods many times during the day, and I've never found this barn - one night hike, and here we are.

Now that I know where it is, I'm going back first chance I get.

...Considering dragging a ladder along so I can get into the loft...

(There are no stairs - I looked.)

Cool: nothing in the first really suggests that it was all dark outside when you took it! What fun! So that is what too much drink can do to you? Have you take sharp photos in the dark??? I always thought things turned blurry... ;)

I don't really know how I was able to get such a good shot, lol.

I just figured out how many seconds the exposure needed to be for the aperture I was using, put it in bulb, then sat there and watched the timer (which I had to use a flashlight to see).

I'm surprised I got such sharp focus - I could barely see anything through the viewfinder (flashlight wasn't powerful enough to help). Auto-Focus didn't work, of course, so I focused manually on the roof - I could just barely make that out against the sky.

And all that while half lit.

The hardest part was holding the camera still for 300 seconds... ;)

Monday afternoon, I'm going back.

Last edited:
I've hiked these woods many times during the day, and I've never found this barn - one night hike, and here we are.
Now that I know where it is, I'm going back first chance I get.

Don't go back! It's Jacob's cabin!! (it won't be there anyway).*

* "Lost" reference. Couldn't resist.

I don't watch Lost, so you kind of 'lost' me there, lol.

I planned on heading back out there today, but I never did make it. This weekend wore me out - I'm taking today to recover.

I'll head back out there next weekend (maybe sooner).

I don't watch Lost, so you kind of 'lost' me there, lol.

Oh well. Nevermind. :mrgreen:

Anyway, it looks like a cool structure; the sort of thing I am always on the lookout for.

When you go back, don't merely shoot it. Look for an interesting angle (literally and figuratively). Watch for interesting light patterns.

I wouldn't recommend going inside, though. :D

Don't forget to post your new shots.

Jon

I think I'll go tomorrow when I get home from work. That should give me a minimum of 5 hours daylight to work with. (It won't take that long, But it might be an hour or two before I can go out.)

The front of the barn faces South, so I should have good light.

EDIT
It rained half the day... I think I'll wait a few days for it to dry out.

Last edited:
Tomorrow afternoon, I plan on (finally) reshooting this barn...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back