Old building for C&C.

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I drove down a street in Beeton that I had never traveled before & saw this building & had to take some photos. Pics taken with the S5.

IMG_3703mod.jpg

IMG_3704mod.jpg

IMG_3705mod.jpg

I like them. The light pole in number 1 kinda sucks but obviously nothing you could do about that at the time. I'd be curious to see the original color versions as well, though.

It's a cool subject indeed Ron.
I might have approached it differently.

#1, The front roof line divided the picture in half. Not that it is a bad thing, but you could totally lose the uninteresting road and shadow (or most of it). That would make it easier to shop out the shadow, and drops the roof line into the lower third.

#2, I think is one of those instances that centering the subject would be fine. There is enough interest in the window to support it. I spent a bit of time figuring out the wood in the window. At first I thought this window was decoration, then I noticed the wood grain does match. Centered should work fine. What you have here though, is not enough space on the left for balance.

#3, Again, I think this would be fine centered. Same balance issue. I would have also tried a shot with the door and the window on the left.

Overall, the B&W treatment here isn't pleasing to me. Maybe it just needs some more contrast. I can't put my finger on it at the moment though.

Do you have color versions? I am really curious what the colors were here.

Definately revisit this building!

On the other hand...these are supremely much better viewed on black!
I wish this forum had a black theme.

I like 2 & 3, but I'm not a big fan of sepia, though I think they'd look nice in B&W. Like the broken glass and the water stains on the door window shade. The shadow of the light pole really ruins the first shot.

I think the door's a no brainer. I like it a lot. I like the second one as well, but I might crop it so that the siding frames the window evenly. First one doesn't do much for me.

It's a cool subject indeed Ron.
I might have approached it differently.

#1, The front roof line divided the picture in half. Not that it is a bad thing, but you could totally lose the uninteresting road and shadow (or most of it). That would make it easier to shop out the shadow, and drops the roof line into the lower third.

I need to crop out the road entirely.

#2, I think is one of those instances that centering the subject would be fine. There is enough interest in the window to support it. I spent a bit of time figuring out the wood in the window. At first I thought this window was decoration, then I noticed the wood grain does match. Centered should work fine. What you have here though, is not enough space on the left for balance.

#3, Again, I think this would be fine centered. Same balance issue. I would have also tried a shot with the door and the window on the left.

I agree, #2&3 would look better centered.

Overall, the B&W treatment here isn't pleasing to me. Maybe it just needs some more contrast. I can't put my finger on it at the moment though.

It is sepia not B&W & here is where I disagree with you.

Do you have color versions? I am really curious what the colors were here.

You will see the originals below as shot but reduced in size.

Definately revisit this building!

On the other hand...these are supremely much better viewed on black!
I wish this forum had a black theme.

Just when I had given up hope of responses - Thanks Guys.

IMG_3703sm.jpg

IMG_3704sm.jpg

IMG_3705sm.jpg

I really like the window in colour! The worn redish frame with the wood in the back really make the photo for me.

As for the road, you don't need to crop it out entirely, as I think that would make the photo too top heavy.

Maybe if you could reshoot to include more of the sky, less of the road, and then clone out the shadow in PP. Or heck, if you are reshooting, try and go at a different time of the day.

Ron said:
It is sepia not B&W & here is where I disagree with you.

:greenpbl: Same thing. I should have used the word "monochromatic" ;)
Remember, I did say they looked much better viewed on black.

Thanks for posting the color originals!

I have to agree that the window looks better monochromatic. The oddness of the new wood against the old.

I think I can go either way on the whole building in color or b&w.

However..THAT DOOR!!!
For me, the color version wins, hands down! :thumbup:

Thanks again for posting the originals. I think it helps people see your (possible) decision making process.

As for the road, you don't need to crop it out entirely, as I think that would make the photo too top heavy.

:thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back