Old camera film speeds

digitaldog120521

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have an old Petri flex V, it is a camera that has a huge lens. Since I am trying to get pictures of the bald eagle pair in my near by area.
Now my question: the camera has iso settings of 500 and 250. And the only film I could find was iso 400. What speed should I set the camera for? Also what else would I need to adjust to compensate for this film to shutter speed issues?

Thanks ahead of time

Use 400 set at 500 and overexpose by 1/3 stop.

Are you sure? I didn't recall the Petri having a meter, and a quick review of the manual confirms this; do you in fact have the clip-on Cd-Su meter? I'm also not aware of any standard film speed being 250 or 500 ASA.

3ec5d83bea239e90398af4898f2ce7a1.jpg

Are you sure? I didn't recall the Petri having a meter, and a quick review of the manual confirms this; do you in fact have the clip-on Cd-Su meter? I'm also not aware of any standard film speed being 250 or 500 ASA.
There is the picture of the iso dial thanks for the speedy reply and hope I can figure out how to get a good photo using this camera

For 400 ISO film , you could shoot it at 500th of a sec at f/16 in broad daylight and the exposure should more or less be right.

ISO 100 film at 125th of a sec at f/16
ISO 200 film at 250th of a sec at f/16

look up the sunny 16 rule and learn exposure compensation and youll be able to guess your exposure fairly well with out a light meter. Film is pretty forgiving with exposure

Thank you very much soulrecover this is exactly what I needed. I hope to be able to get some good pictures of the eagles with this information

I usually use 100 or 125 ISO film outdoors especially if it's sunny; 400 indoors or low light (evening).

I sometimes use another camera to get a meter reading, or a handheld meter could be an option (vintage ones if they're working are usually cheap).

Most reactions

Back