old cameras

grooski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Me and a buddy of mine went downtown to go see if there would be a camera store or a antique store. There was no camera store but the was a antique store with like 9 old cameras. They were mostly being sold for 20 dollars. They had zeiss that was selling for 80 though. Would it be a good idea to buy one, not for using of course, but just for a collection? Since most of them were only selling for 20 dollars.

All depends on what they are and what condition they are in.

grooski said:
not for using of course

I say use them.

Get the models/numbers and do a search to get more info. Check Ebay to see what they are going for there. Most of the time, but not always, I find that Ebay is cheaper than antique stores/flea markets by about half.

grooski said:
Me and a buddy of mine went downtown to go see if there would be a camera store or a antique store. There was no camera store but the was a antique store with like 9 old cameras. They were mostly being sold for 20 dollars. They had zeiss that was selling for 80 though. Would it be a good idea to buy one, not for using of course, but just for a collection? Since most of them were only selling for 20 dollars.

Do me a favor and take a list of what are they selling, post it back here and I'll tell you how much they're worth. Check also their condition, mechanically and optically.

There are old Zeiss cameras that sell for less, not all Zeiss were created equal.

My bf brought home an old Brownie Hawkeye yesterday to use as a movie prop. Of course I took a liking to it and am thinking of keeping it. The $8 price tag suits me well. Anyway, I'm looking it over, pop it open to check it out. And there's a roll of film in it! :shock: 620 Kodacolor-X, process C-22 it says. It looks totally ancient. So what are the odds I could get this developed and get any negs out of it? :D

process C-22? I'd say about zero chance :lol:

There is a lab in Colorado that does some old processes, I think. I can't remember the name, but it might have "Rocky Mountain" in it?

i would buy them and try to fix them.

if not, it's a great decoration to your home especially when your hobby is photography.

put them near a frame shot of yours...

ksmattfish said:
process C-22? I'd say about zero chance :lol:

There is a lab in Colorado that does some old processes, I think. I can't remember the name, but it might have "Rocky Mountain" in it?

Yeah, I worked with them, they're based in Aurora, CO. I had some 120 KR-14 (Kodachrome slides) that I wanted to be processed, sent it to them and got them back after one year, still not done. Otherwise they're ok. :lol:

Heh, I got a great old 2-1/2 Rolleicord for free from some garage sale and it works great!

Old cameras can still be useful.

Shutterbug said:
Heh, I got a great old 2-1/2 Rolleicord for free from some garage sale and it works great!

Lucky!! :evil: :lol: :lol:

Mitica100 said:
Shutterbug said:

Lucky!! :evil: :lol: :lol:

Heh, finding film is a pain, and now that I have a working 35mm SLR again (Nikon F 8) ) I'm trying to sell it. I'm not asking much, either.

process C-22? I'd say about zero chance

You can get E-6 developed in C-41 so why not get the roll done with C-41 and see what happens? Nothing to lose but a couple of bucks! :D

You could always develop it as a black and white film. The orange base and the dyes will remain, but you should be able to get workable photos by scanning the film, if they're still viable. The only real alternative is to pay a specialty lab ~$40 and wait a few months, for what could quite possibly be nothing at all. The C-41 process will destroy C-22 film, and the same probably goes for E-6, if you could even find a lab to do it for you.

Shutterbug said:
Heh, finding film is a pain, and now that I have a working 35mm SLR again (Nikon F 8) ) I'm trying to sell it. I'm not asking much, either.

Well, the 120 size film is available at any serious camera store. Have you tried Adorama? Or Free Style?

And how much are you asking for the Rolleicord? :D

So I can just use my normal b&w chems?? Cool, I will definitely try that! Yeah, I found the lab in Colorado, but it's like $30 a roll and since they batch process, it says to expect to wait between 6 months and 1 year. No thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back