Old film camera repair

cyrillk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

Recently, I've decided to try shooting on my old film camera "King Regulette" 35mm. The camera seems to be fine despite it is quite old. But a focus ring is completely blocked. So, I would like to fix it. I managed to remove the front retaining ring which is fixed by three little screws. I can't see any other screws or something like that. So, I would like to get an advice on how to remove the focus ring?

The photo of the camera (without the retaining ring) is in the attachment.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• $IMG_0038.jpg
    $IMG_0038.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 173
Last edited:
The focus ring could simply slide off ('though it might be a tight friction-fit), there could be fasteners in the 'sides' of the lens, or it may be a case of having to take the lens off completely and go in from the back. If you ask Mr. Google very nicely, you might luck out and find a repair manual for this unit, 'though I wouldn't hold my breath.

tirediron, thanks a lot! Yes, probably I need to take off the lens... I couldn't spot any other screws on the lens. Unfortunately, Mr. Google refused to discuss it with me =) I have found a repair manual for the shutter but shutter itself seems to be fine and ,actually, I can't get to it without the focus ring being removed..

I have a King Regula but a different model. Mine has a couple of screws at the bottom of the shutter speed ring but I don't know what removing those might accomplish.

I'm wondering if there's a way to loosen it up without taking it apart, on mine the focus is a little stiff focusing to infinity. I haven't run film thru it yet but expect using it will loosen it up some.

Have you tried it at different speed settings? I find sometimes with old cameras that the slower speeds can be sticky or stop working but that the camera may work at faster speeds. I'd check too and make sure the timer or time setting isn't on, sometimes I've gotten cameras that were left at that setting for who knows how long so I had to activate that and let the timer run down then the shutter would start to work properly.

I don't think I ever found a whole lot about Regulas online but I've run across this one before.
http://www.mwclassic.com/articles/irregular_regulas/irregular_regulas.htm

It mentions some model of Regula having a chain that pulls film thru the camera - I have an old Voigtlander like that, it won't release the shutter or advance until you put film in the camera. So have you tried film in it yet? Just a thought. edit - Realized you said it was the focus ring that's stuck not the shutter, got carried away with my trouble shooting!

Last edited:
vintagesnaps, thank you! The shutter seems to be working fine. The problem with the focus ring that's stuck.

Today I took the lens off completely but still can't figure out how to open them. There are no screws on the back side of the lens either.

looking at the picture there are 2 holes at 12 and 6 o'clock so you might need a lens retainer ring spanner
ebay item number 231255934123 is the type of thing I mean.
[h=1][/h]

CarlH, cool, I didn't know about such a tool. Unfortunately, they are not holes.. Just circles on the plastic. Is it possible that a central metal wavy ring should be unscrewed? What is the right tool for that?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back