Old Leica Books

both books appear to be in less-than-good condition...
but are from the mid 1940's

There may be 23 portals but there's still only one central database. When you list an item you have the choice of whether it's listed locally, regionally or worldwide, it's just a couple of fields in the database.

It may be interesting that that there is a central database that has all listing from all 23 international sites but it is not relevant to anything I posted so I don't see why you even brought it up in your reply to my post.

The point is: When you do a search on eBay.com (USA) you only get results from that eBay.com (USA) site. That goes for all 23 eBay international sites.

That is all I said and If you wish to make irrelevant observations, you are free to do so but please do not associate your comments with my posts. Thank you. :)

Last edited:
A few years ago, I got a YouTube application that allowed searching different nations' YouTube postings...was fantastic for searching out videos from France, and other European countries. Fabulous to see outside of USA's limited inventory of uploaded videos...Dutch folk for example, have a LOT of concert footage from big USA bands and singers.

It may be interesting that that there is a central database that has all listing from all 23 international sites but it is not relevant to anything I posted so I don't see why you even brought it up in your reply to my post.

The point is: When you do a search on eBay.com (USA) you only get results from that eBay.com (USA) site. That goes for all 23 eBay international sites.

I disagree that it's not relevant, you were implying there's more than one database. On the contrary it can be extremely useful when trying to find scarce items, and my point is this might well be useful to,others.

Some items were only made and sold in one market, one example it's hard finding 7x5 DDS film holders here in the UK as 7x5 cameras were never made or sold here instead we had Half plate and Continental Europe had 13x18, so it's better to search ebay.com not ebay.co.uk. I needed 9x12 film holders for an SLR so ebay.de is more relevant.

I buy from around the world and there are quite a few items I wouldn't have found without searching via other enay portals.

Ian

How does one go about searching the various eBay sites outside of one's own native country or continent? I no longer use eBay very often, but I have a few items I would like to look for with in the next year or so.

Is there an easy way to set up my eBay account so that will search let's say in the US,Canada,and Mexico ,and South America and a couple of countries in Europe,without me having to manually box tick too much?

There are items that show up from other countries but it seems like a seller has to list them on the US site (or to show up on the US site as well as their own country/continent). I don't think every listing from all over the world necessarily shows up because depending on what it is I may not see anything much listed outside the US or N. America (if I don't specify location). I've also seen seller listings say no international sales, so I'm not sure if sellers set it how/where it shows up or what.

Derrel on the left side column there's a section that has boxes (well, circles if you want to get technical! lol) to select which countries you want to search.

And I don't know Derrel, Dutch folk music might be going even further OT! lol but it was interesting... Did you dance along?

Back to the OP... yes, there would be interest, from people like me. I don't think used books are particularly valuable unless first editions, rare collectibles, etc. You could try searching completed listings on ebay to see what one may have sold for.

I don't know of an easy search across portals Derrel.

Japanese sellers often lost on ebay.com because items have a greater value in the US and Europe. Many of us in Europe buy from the US because photographic equipment is significantly more expensive here, however we so need to factor in shipping the Import Duty, and then VAT, on the item and shipping which adds about 34%.

On ebay.co.uk I can lost UK only, EU, or International, and I can do similar searches as well as distance from my address.

I have friend in the US who buys on my behalf if a seller says no International sales, but many will ship abroad if you ask nicely anyway.

Ian

I disagree that it's not relevant, you were implying there's more than one database.

No. I said if you search the USA site you will only get results from the USA site. Which is still true despite your obfuscations.

I buy from around the world and there are quite a few items I wouldn't have found without searching via other enay portals.

I didn't say one couldn't search other eBay sites. Of course you can.

Last edited:
No. I said if you search the USA site you will only get results from the USA site. Which is still true despite your obfuscations.

Unfortunately that's not true as a search will actually also show any international sales from other countries when sellers have flagged item as available Internationally.

Once you grasp the simple fact that eBay is essentially one big website with huge Oracle database it's simple. The different portals are just different ways to query the same website and database. Sorry if it baffles you :D

If you do an eBay.com search for say a 120mm Angulon there's 13 Angulon/Super Angulons listed only 3 in the US, others are Japan Hong, Kong, Holland, South Ko rea, Austria, etc, yes these may all have been listed via ebay.com. However scroll down and there's another section showing Ebay International sellers and another 21 lenses and not all listings are in English.

Derrel, you can log in to any Ebay portal and provided you understand the language set up and save a Search. That search will show up via your regular portal (I assume ebay.com) in the Saved Searches section, if you go to the search it will open the search via the other portal. It's two mouse clicks so quick, I've just tested it both ways

Ian

If you do an eBay.com search for say a 120mm Angulon there's 13 Angulon/Super Angulons listed only 3 in the US, others are Japan Hong, Kong, Holland, South Ko rea, Austria, etc, yes these may all have been listed via ebay.com. However scroll down and there's another section showing Ebay International sellers and another 21 lenses and not all listings are in English.

OK, I did a search for 120mm Angulon and got 13 USA results plus 21 international listings but the foreign results were sellers who listed their items on the USA eBay site and none of them are shown as being on any other site or "portal" as you call it. Each and every one has a listing URL of www.ebay.com/ ... (which is the USA site).

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
OK, I did a search for 120mm Angulon and got 13 USA results plus 21 international listings but the foreign results were sellers who listed their items on the USA eBay site and none of them are shown as being on any other site or "portal" as you call it. Each and every one has a listing URL of www.ebay.com/ ... (which is the USA site).

There's no such thing as a listing URL, what you refer to is the resulting URL from the search via the ebay.com Portal. Find a lens from Germany and edit the URL from ebay.com/etc to ebay.de/etc and the same item, a page may look slightly different because the database query forms may differ. I can change the .com to .it, .fr, .ca, .co.uk etc and the item remains the same, That shows clearly there's no listing URL :D

All listings are on the same Ebay website and database, all that differers is the search portal URL.

Ian

There's no such thing as a listing URL ...

Here is one of the things that you say there is no such thing as:
Schneider Super-Angulon 120mm f/8.0 MC Lens - Linhof Ver. | eBay

It's a URL and it points to an eBay listing, Every page on the internet has a URL and eBay pages are no different.

Find a lens from Germany and edit the URL from ebay.com/etc to ebay.de/etc and the same item, a page may look slightly different because the database query forms may differ. I can change the .com to .it, .fr, .ca, .co.uk etc and the item remains the same, That shows clearly there's no listing URL :D

No, it shows there are multiple listing URLs for each item. And, they are more than slightly different.

Last edited:
You're missing something very simple, see the same listing on the French and German and UK portals:

The .com, .de, .fr, .co.uk in the URL is only indicative of the portal you access through. It doesn't indicate which country/portal an items been listed through just that Ebay doesn't use that part of the URL to indicate country etc in a search.

Ian

The .com, .de, .fr, .co.uk in the URL is only indicative of the portal you access through.

But earlier you said there are no URLs on eBay. Now you say there are.

I am tired of this game. All I did was post the results of an eBay search. You can call it whatever you like. I don't really care. Have fun with your portals.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back