What's new

Old minolta lenses for Sony body

doubleZ

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 14, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

I want to build up my lens kit for portrait photography.

I currently have these:

Minolta AF 50 mm
Sony 18-70 mm
Sony 75-300 mm

What additional Minolta lenses would you suggest, or do you think spending the extra money on a Sony lens would be a better idea?

Thanks
 
Hi~
Minolta made some awesome glass when they introduced the Maxxum 7000 (way back before you were born, probably :) These lenses are heavy-duty, so I would advise using a vert grip to balance the weight.

Minolta AF 28-135 f/4~4.5 Needle sharp, gorgeous saturated colors, and a near constant at f/4 -- no polarizer needed with this lens.
Minolta AF 70-210 f/4
Minolta AF 100 f/2 Macro Back in the days of film, the 70-210 f/4 (constant...f/4 at 210 is AMAZING) and the 100 f/2 were my favorites for portraits/headshots.
Minolta AF 100-400 APO Simply the best for shooting action. It's not an f/2, but it performs just as well.-- very fast.

The lenses listed above (including the 50mm f/1.7) were designed specifically to showcase the Maxxum 7000 which was the FIRST auto-focus 35mm SLR. Minolta deliberately marketed top-quality glass at "hobby photographer" prices -- about half the price of Nikon's "Big ED" glass and Canon's "White" (elephants :)

Hope this helps. I don't know much about the Sony lenses yet. I've just begun building a Sony outfit so I can use my Minolta lenses.

~Breeze
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom