old photoshop vs. paint shop pro

Have a look at Photoshop Elements. It does 90% of what most photographers would want/need.

i have a copy of photoshop 7 i got from my father but i havent used it much, dont know how well it will be for converting RAW and all that jazz

ill just have to start spending more time with it, i have it downloaded but is just as confusing IMO as photoshop haha

i have a copy of photoshop 7 i got from my father but i havent used it much, dont know how well it will be for converting RAW and all that jazz
Photoshop uses a sub-program called Adobe Camera RAW to convert RAW files. For every new camera model that comes out, ACR has to be updated...unfortunatly, they don't put out updates for older versions of ACR (that are compatible with older versions of Photoshop)....so you won't be able to open RAW files with PS7 (unless they are from a rather old digital camera).

There are plenty of other options for converting RAW files though....including the software that will have come with your camera. That will allow you to process the RAW files and convert them into TIFF or JPEG files etc. You can then open those files in your older version of Photoshop.

Photoshop 7 is a good image editor, but is useless for RAW conversion. It doesn't support any version of the necessary Adobe Camera RAW plugin.

PS7 could work as a companion to some RAW converter that was supplied with your camera. Often the RAW converters supplied by the camera manufacturer do very decent RAW conversions but provide rather limited editing so using PS7 after the RAW conversion makes good sense.

If you have PS7 and have a RAW converter that came with your camera, I would suggest starting there and see if the pair work well for you. You would then be in a better position to evaluate where replacing the "team" with another single program (PSP, newer PS, ...) is worth the expense.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back