"You Look Better In Red"

Discussion in 'C & C Gallery' started by ElNico, Aug 5, 2020.

1. twocolor

twocolor No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have been doing graphic design and ad design and photo editing since I was a senior in high school (which was only yesterday right?!). I started editing before Adobe even had a photoshop! Corel Draw! However I haven't ever used paintshop pro. I used photoshop's stamp tool, a bit of the patch tool and some hand painting in some spots. It might be worth a quick trip over to YouTube for some tutorials!

• Like Like x 1
  2. ElNico

ElNico TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Most of them are just different crops of the same image though. I'll streamline them here and number them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edits of #1:

1A
    [​IMG]

1B
    [​IMG]

1C
    [​IMG]

1D
    [​IMG]

I'm more interested in feedback for #1 and #3 than for #2, as I only really posted #2 here because it was the only image from the set without closed eyes that I had access to at the time. #3 is my actual response to the comment about the eyes.

A question form earlier that I'd especially like an answer to, is what is the best way to crop #1. Soocom1 said that the version in my first post is better than the tall version because it has a better balance of colors (while the tall version has too much red); however weepete said earlier that the aspect ratio of that version (square) "lacks context or narrative." I'd appreciate a resolution to this, as I can see the merit in both arguments. The version I used in this post is a custom aspect ratio - taller than square but shorter than 10x8 - that ends at the border between the corset and the skirt; is that a good compromise? If not what would be better?

3. ElNico

ElNico TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Can you explain what those first two tools do? I don't think there's anything in paintshop with a similar name, but they might just be called something else.

I'll also check out Youtube. :)

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I do not think you should crop frame number one, but I think you should consider cloning out that highlight on the left side in the background.

5. twocolor

twocolor No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The stamp tool can sample a portion of an image and stamp it in another spot in the image. So I "sampled" a portion of the hood that wasn't blown out and "stamped it" on the blown highlights! The patch tool takes imperfections in an image and using the information in the pixels around the imperfection recreates the area without the imperfection! I recommend trying creative cloud photographer's subscription. It's $9'ish a month and gives you photoshop, bridge and lightroom!

• Like Like x 1
  6. ElNico

ElNico TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Cool, paintshop can do the first of those (it's called "clone,"), and I have another program that can do the latter (this is the tool I mentioned earlier that can "make an object disappear"). I'll see what I can do tomorrow by combining those.

That's sounds like a good deal, and I've heard good things about lightroom. I'll check that out, thanks! :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    ok, so 2 and 3 are much stronger shots than 1. Your model has really nice eyes so it's a bit of a shame not to use them. Out of 2 and 3, I think 3 is the best shot, it's composed better within the frame. People are naturally drawn to others eyes, it's one of the things we are conditioned to look at to try and understand how someone else is feeling.

Something to think about: Photography, like all art is a visual language and in order to communicate your ideas effectively to a random viewer you need to drop a few hints into work you create. These can be subltle, or implied but without them things can be difficult to interperate.

You mentioned the concept of serenity and wanting to make it appear that your model was in a forest. Serenity is a little bit of an abstract concept, however you could use the things that are accociated with that in your shot. Limited colour palatte
    (particularly pastels) blues, purples, greens, yellows, browns, calm water, soft light, relaxed posing are all things I'd associate with the idea of serenity. Some of the major things I associate with forests is trees and ferns. Inclusion of one of these elements would really help the viewer be lead in the direction you want them to go.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ElNico

ElNico TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well I think that 1 (which to be clear is the one of these three that I was trying to create a serene feel with) is a very relaxed pose. As for limited color palate; hence the two entirely B&W edits of this image, 1C and 1D. I thought that 1D especially looked very serene and peaceful; between the expression (including the closed eyes), the lighting on the face, and the way that the lighting combines with being B&W. Do you disagree?

The edits aside, I think it has a somewhat limited color palate already, as there are basically two main colors, red and green. I realize that red and green are contrasting colors, but as the premise of the scene is "Red Riding Hood in a forest," both colors are kind of unavoidable. Do you think it would look better if I edited the leaves to be less green and more brown, so as to contrast less with the red?

I'm a bit confused by this, as it seems to me that I have that already. 1 and 3 are basically shot against a solid background of leaves, and 2 is on a path through trees. (Okay, they're actually bushes; but again, it's a solid wall of leaves with no top in sight.) Granted there are no tree trunks, but I was working with what I had.

If I'm going to try the concept again in the future, I can try doing it in a location that is more like an actual forest. I chose this location because it had a variety of backdrops that I wanted to use for different sets, including the woods-like area; but I can try this concept in a place that goes further in that one direction.

I'm aware of this, and I agree that the model has very effecting eyes. I took plenty of photos in this shoot that focus on the eyes; I just had a larger number of closed eyes photos in this particular set, as I felt it went well with the fairytale theme. Even then, I still made use of her eyes in this set, #3 being just one example.

I plan on posting some images from the other sets in this shoot (in a different thread) at some point in the future, once I've got more of them edited. This is one of my favourite shoots I've done so far.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  9. ElNico

ElNico TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Okay, how's this for fixing the main hot spot on the hood? I know there's other spots to fix, I just want to know if I'm on the right track. Thanks. :)

[​IMG]

10. bulldurham

bulldurham Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    The right track is not to try to fix this image but to reshoot and take all the suggestions into account when doing the poses, lighting and dress/makeup. One rarely learns by fixing a crappy shot, but by figuring out what went wrong, plan a newer and better shot and keep doing that until it's right - and trust me, you'll never forget.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. ElNico

ElNico TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sure, but I don't think I can redo this shoot as I think that the model doesn't model anymore; and there are definitely some images from this set that have this problem that I otherwise really like, such as #3 above on this page. And I was told earlier in this thread to "fix" the blown highlights on her hood. So if you don't think I should spend a lot of time trying to edit the blown area so that it looks perfect, then for the purpose of these images that I like, do you think I'm better off trying to fix what I can so that it looks obviously edited (or does it not look that bad?), or am I better off not editing the blown area and just chalking it up to a casualty of a mistake made in the shoot that I will learn from?

In other words, is the fact that "the real answer is to not make the mistake in the future," and the fact that it "can't" be properly fixed, a reason to not try to fix it? Given that I can't reshoot but want to add these images that I really like to my portfolio, which would look more professional/respectable; trying to fix it or not trying to fix it?

12. bulldurham

bulldurham Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

My opinion for what it's worth is to chalk it up to a learning shoot and go on from there...putting this shot in a portfolio would not impress me, fixed or as shot. The ones that suggested fixing the blown highlights, I think were trying to be encouraging without totally giving you a thumb's down. I've graded way too many shows, portfolios and projects to be that kind...sorry, but fixing these images is putting lipstick on a pig.

• Agree Agree x 1