What's new

Old US Postal Boxes - CC Welcome

Demers18

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 11, 2011
Messages
1,330
Reaction score
265
Location
Sudbury
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Found this old US postal service box and found it to be a really fun subject.

Here are a couple of my better shots.

Let me know what you think

1. Postal Nest

7111427733_ae986d98f5_b.jpg
[/URL] U-Postal -Nest - Colour by lee.demers, on Flickr[/IMG]

#2 Happy Postal

7111491223_15f4a02a4e_b.jpg
[/URL] Happy Postal by lee.demers, on Flickr[/IMG]
 
I like the second shot, and maybe I'm just nit picking, but I wish it was cropped a little looser so the top of the open door wasn't cut off. It feels like it's crowded.

The birds nest is cool too, but I would have liked some fill light inside the mailbox compartment to bring out the nest more.
 
Bo4key said:
I like the second shot, and maybe I'm just nit picking, but I wish it was cropped a little looser so the top of the open door wasn't cut off. It feels like it's crowded.

The birds nest is cool too, but I would have liked some fill light inside the mailbox compartment to bring out the nest more.

I've tried with the full door in there and to me it feels like there's too much extra space. In hindsight I should have maybe tried a different angle to get the full door in there.

As for the nest shot, I'm limited to the on camera flash and when I used the flash it brought I too much light and didn't like the effect. A flash will be one of my next equipment purchases. Baby steps.

Thanks for the CC
 
I've tried with the full door in there and to me it feels like there's too much extra space. In hindsight I should have maybe tried a different angle to get the full door in there...........

Shoot it in portrait orientation.
 
480sparky said:
Shoot it in portrait orientation.

I did and I didn't like the composition as much. I'll have to go through them again and see.
 
I like the first image very much; the nest adds much life to this; at the same time, the the murky inside adds some curiosity too :D
 
Frequency said:
I like the first image very much; the nest adds much life to this; at the same time, the the murky inside adds some curiosity too :D

Thanks Frequency
 
I like the first one, but would try having only four boxes in the frame, the ones on the left because the nest extends in that direction.
 
KenC said:
I like the first one, but would try having only four boxes in the frame, the ones on the left because the nest extends in that direction.

Are you trying to get me to make the picture a square again? ;)
 
In hindsight I should have maybe tried a different angle to get the full door in there.
This is exactly what I was going to suggest. The open door is the star of the photo so I was a bit disappointed to see it decapitated :) The mailbox is a great find, neat textures and colours. Perhaps adding a tad more contrast in post would help emphasize those textures.

If you have a chance, you should go back to try a re-shoot.
 
KenC said:
I like the first one, but would try having only four boxes in the frame, the ones on the left because the nest extends in that direction.

Are you trying to get me to make the picture a square again? ;)

I would never do such a thing and I'm shocked you would say that. But, yeah, I guess so.
 
Bo4key said:
I like the second shot, and maybe I'm just nit picking, but I wish it was cropped a little looser so the top of the open door wasn't cut off. It feels like it's crowded.

The birds nest is cool too, but I would have liked some fill light inside the mailbox compartment to bring out the nest more.

I've tried with the full door in there and to me it feels like there's too much extra space. In hindsight I should have maybe tried a different angle to get the full door in there.

As for the nest shot, I'm limited to the on camera flash and when I used the flash it brought I too much light and didn't like the effect. A flash will be one of my next equipment purchases. Baby steps.

Thanks for the CC

Well, at least you tried with the flash.

The more I look at it though, I think I was wrong. I think my desire to see what's inside the box led me to want to see it lit better, but I think that may add to the shot more than detract from it. It gives it a sort of mood and leaves the person looking at it wanting more.
 
I like the first image very much; the nest adds much life to this; at the same time, the the murky inside adds some curiosity too :D

...made my second comment before reading this. Read my mind Frequency!
 
The nest shot is cool. Here's a thought on lighting. Maybe drop a small flashlight behind the nest to get a glow from the inside? That might be fun.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom