What's new

Old US Postal Boxes - CC Welcome

In hindsight I should have maybe tried a different angle to get the full door in there.
This is exactly what I was going to suggest. The open door is the star of the photo so I was a bit disappointed to see it decapitated :) The mailbox is a great find, neat textures and colours. Perhaps adding a tad more contrast in post would help emphasize those textures.

If you have a chance, you should go back to try a re-shoot.

Thanks Federico, I'll have to play around a little more in post and see what I can come up with. I did find another shot I have with the full door but it also includes quite a few more boxes. I'll play around with it a bit a post later.

As for going back to the subject, I wish I could go back because that would mean I was in Hawaii again ;)



KenC said:
I like the first one, but would try having only four boxes in the frame, the ones on the left because the nest extends in that direction.

Are you trying to get me to make the picture a square again? ;)

I would never do such a thing and I'm shocked you would say that. But, yeah, I guess so.

Hey KenC, I was simply kidding around as I know you tend to like the "square" look from the camera (that escapes me) you used to use. I do appreciate and value your CC and will definitely try a version with 4 boxes.


Bo4key said:
I like the second shot, and maybe I'm just nit picking, but I wish it was cropped a little looser so the top of the open door wasn't cut off. It feels like it's crowded.

The birds nest is cool too, but I would have liked some fill light inside the mailbox compartment to bring out the nest more.

I've tried with the full door in there and to me it feels like there's too much extra space. In hindsight I should have maybe tried a different angle to get the full door in there.

As for the nest shot, I'm limited to the on camera flash and when I used the flash it brought I too much light and didn't like the effect. A flash will be one of my next equipment purchases. Baby steps.

Thanks for the CC

Well, at least you tried with the flash.

The more I look at it though, I think I was wrong. I think my desire to see what's inside the box led me to want to see it lit better, but I think that may add to the shot more than detract from it. It gives it a sort of mood and leaves the person looking at it wanting more.

Thank you

I like the first image very much; the nest adds much life to this; at the same time, the the murky inside adds some curiosity too :D
This is what I wanted to say. And I like its strong tight composition too!

Thank you!

The nest shot is cool. Here's a thought on lighting. Maybe drop a small flashlight behind the nest to get a glow from the inside? That might be fun.

That would have been an idea, could have turned out good.
 
Here is the version with the complete door.

6972591496_d9a5cfa445_b.jpg
[/URL] U Postal - Full Door by lee.demers, on Flickr[/IMG]
 
As for going back to the subject, I wish I could go back because that would mean I was in Hawaii again ;)
Then you have an excuse to return :)

I like the new version much better :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom