Older auto focus lenses

Outlander21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have several lenses that worked with an old Nikon N50 film DLSR. Can these older (Nikon, Tamron) lenses work with the new digital Nikon digital cameras? I hope I don't have to start over with lenses. Thanks.

So long as the body still has in-body AF.

The Nikon D40, D60, and D3000-series and D-5000 series cameras do not have an in-body focusing motor and will not autofocus with older lenses although those older lenses will Mount and meter. The D50, the D70,the D80, the D90,and the D300 and D200 and D100, all have an in-body motor. All of the single-digit cameras such as the D1, D2, D3,D4, D5 series models can use the older protocol lenses with full compatibility.same goes for the 600- and 700- and 800- series models...they can autofocus the older style lenses.

Basically it has been the lowest-priced cameras made by Nikon over the past 15 years or so which require the newer AF-S protocol lenses. The older autofocus Nikon lenses use the " screw drive" system.

Last edited:
I have several lenses that worked with an old Nikon N50 film DLSR. Can these older (Nikon, Tamron) lenses work with the new digital Nikon digital cameras? I hope I don't have to start over with lenses. Thanks.
The D7xxx series and above have an in-body focusing motor. Those older AF lenses are focused by the little "screwdriver-looking thing" in the body lens mount.

And, of course, you can mount F-Mount manual-focus lenses as well.

If you are just now shopping for a digital SLR (DSLR) get something "enthusiast level" or above. Many such camera bodies are available used at substantially reduced prices.

As usual; when purchasing a used camera, check it out carefully, and compare prices before snagging one.

Good luck!

Simply put, in the current line of Nikons, the D3x00 and D5x00 will not focus these lenses. Any of the other DSLRs will. If you're looking at used equipment, add just the D40 and D60 to the no-AF list.

The AF-D lens will mount and meter correctly on any of the DSLRs, but it will be manual focus only on the "lower" end cameras.

As you find lenses you want to get, you'll find that the AF-S lenses focus MUCH faster than the lenses that rely on the camera's focus motor.

The D40, D40X, D60, 3xxx-series, 5xxx-series and the Z-series will not autofocus with older lenses that requires a focus motor in the camera. Any other Nikon DSLR will work.

...as far as I know.

And I don't know everything.

Most reactions

Back