Older lens on new camera question

ranchcutter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought a Nikon D50 with the 18-55 kit lens and a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 about eight years ago. I recently bought a Nikon D7100. These lenses on the D50 produced nice, sharp shots, but on the D7100, the shots look terrible. The sharpness just isn't there. I've had a professional photographer tell me that the much larger mp camera (D7100) will bring out the flaws in the older lens, thereby explaining the way they look. Then I saw where someone has said in a thread in another forum that "No lens will become worse with a higher resolution sensor camera". If that's the case, I am truly not liking the D7100. So, now I'm confused. I've spent countless hours the past month in researching lens in thinking that I need to buy something newer. Help please!!! Thanks!!!

[double post]

Try using live-view and see if your shots come out nicer. Live-view uses a different focusing system.

You might need to adjust the focus of your lenses on your D7100. I'm not entirely familiar with the process, so you should google it (you'll find a guide just by googling "d7100 focus calibration", or maybe someone else could direct you to a good guide.

Your 18-55 just might be revealing its weaknesses (it's a slow kit lens that isn't sharp to say the least), however the 70-200 should be quite sharp.

I've been using back button focus. Set camera on tripod and took shots of same thing at different manual settings. None of them are sharp.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back