Older Pro DSLR vs Newer Mid Range DSLR

Poole

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I currently I have a Nikon D3300 with a few lenses. I'm looking to upgrade and I've scoured the internet trying to find a good option.

I like the look of the "pro" DSLR's like the Canon 1D series and the Nikon D1,2... series, and I like their sturdiness and their full frame capabilities. I guess if I were to pick one I'd get the Canon 1Ds Mark II

Now I could also go the other way and get something like a Nikon D7000 but that's APS-C.

What's the best option here? I have a budget of $500 not including lenses.

I believe the Nikon d1 and d2 series were DX crop sensors size.
The D3 introduced a FF sensor.

Keep in mind it's old technology. low ISO abilities, smaller images sizes, etc. But packed with advanced features including 1/16,000 shutter speeds, high sync speeds, etc.

Since your are talking about the d1 and d2, I'd go with the d7000 ... all APS-C.

D3300 sensor is better then these old cameras, D3 is probably way out of your budget.
I used to have the D5100 and I sold it to get the D3300.
I found the sensor to be better on the D3300 over the D5100 and the D7000 has the same sensor.
for 500$ I think you can get a well maintained used D7100 which has a better sensor and better AF system then the D7000
So my vote is for a used D7100 over other options
I used to own D5100, D7000, D7100 and still own the D3300, overall the D7100 is a better camera then any of the other DX cameras I owned.

Not sure what you mean by 'a few lenses' but you'll start over from scratch if you jump to canon.

If your budget is 500.00, I'd wait until I found a bargain d7100 and keep using my existing lenses.
OTOH, if you hate your existing lenses, you can start over with canon without consequence.

D7100 all the way.

Watch eBay and craigslist. Normally they go for 6-700 but I just picked mine up with a 17-50 2.8 for $500, so it can be done.

D3300 sensor is better then these old cameras, D3 is probably way out of your budget.
I used to have the D5100 and I sold it to get the D3300.
I found the sensor to be better on the D3300 over the D5100 and the D7000 has the same sensor.
for 500$ I think you can get a well maintained used D7100 which has a better sensor and better AF system then the D7000
So my vote is for a used D7100 over other options
I used to own D5100, D7000, D7100 and still own the D3300, overall the D7100 is a better camera then any of the other DX cameras I owned.
Thanks, this helped a lot

D7100 all the way.

Watch eBay and craigslist. Normally they go for 6-700 but I just picked mine up with a 17-50 2.8 for $500, so it can be done.
Thanks, that's what I'll go with

I bought a used D7100 with some accessories for $525 on eBay last year. I'd go that way. Sure, it's a crop sensor, but so what? It has a solid sensor (without an AA filter), good AF system, and two command dials. I don't regret not going FF. Someday I'll want to upgrade and the 7100 will still make an awesome backup.

If you change camera makes, you can sell your previous gear to help fund the change.

You can get a used D3 for less than 1000 Euros. She is a very serious camera still although she sits idle on my shelve I do not sell her. A very serious camera by todays standards

Watching Ebay you can get one for 800 Euros with a little wait and still below 100.000 clicks which is nothing for that camera.

A pro camera for 500 will be significantly outdated.

The D2X is eg a lot worse than the D7000 .... even the D300s is bad compared to the D7000. The D7100 is even better. All of them APS-C.

Since you mentioned Canon 1DsMkII: I still own one, that I hardly ever use - only for timelapses if at all. Even my also old Canon 5DII outperforms it in regard to image quality, ease of use and last but not least the display of that old camera is just really bad. Also: batteries of used cameras of this age are probably not usable anymore and new ones are pretty expensive.
Sure they look cool, but I'm really happy that my ages of using such monstercameras are over ;).
So my vote too would be: get a newer one.

The D2x is a great shooter, as far as the camera's viewfinder, build, latency time, shutter delay time, autofocusing system, and extraordinary battery life. It's a great imager at ISO 100 to ISO 125. Above ISO 400, it's dismal. But it HANDLES and SHOOTS fantastically well, and has **the best ever** APS-C viewfinder Nikon or Canon or Sony has ever offered. used? $450-$550 I guess.

The D3x is a great camera; fast response, good viewfinder, shoots well, decent AF system, not quite the same as the D2x, which was a complicated AF system, but which focused very well if you understood how to use it properly. The D3x has good image quality and pretty good DR as well, decent higher-ISO capability, up to ISO 1,250 or maybe 1,600 in decent light.

If you want a good,affordable camera, and can live with APS-C, maybe D5500 or D7100, these days?

Image QUALITY, and Dynamic Range has gone up with the newer APS-C sensors.

I would not overlook a used D600 either, or a D610, or a used D750.

If you look at the older "pro" SLR's, they're akin to older laptops vs. newer tablets. They work fine, but the firmware, hardware, and software compatibility are now considerably advanced. You can still get fine photos, and a lot depends on just how hard you're going to push your equipment, and how rough the handling will be.

I recently went from a Nikon D200, to both a D500 and a D750. The ensuing nine years may as well been an eternity; faster focusing, faster writing, broader ISO range, faster shutter speeds, better metering, etc.

At this point, and with a $500 budget, I wouldn't change brands. Too many Nikon refurbs out there.

yes, a used D600 is good in IQ, but sucks in many other respects. I use her often, I know her well, but it took a long time to learn.

Digital photography is an emerging technology and sensors and their corresponding software go obsolete pretty quickly. The rugged construction of a pro body goes without saying but, the IQ of the newer mid line stuff is much better. jmho

Most reactions

New Topics

Back