Olympus E-520 Macro?

Mr.Coinring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all!
I am a newbe to the slr, and I just ordered an Olympus E-520. My main concern/question is.. what is the best lens setup to get really up close macro shots of rings that I make from silver coins? Do I need an extension tube with macro lenses or should I spend a little more money for a manual focus macro lens like a Olympus Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 lens?....I have no idea what to use
confused.gif
Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance.
PS: After buying the camera I am on a limited budget.

Are you just trying to shoot the rings for "display" purposes, or wanting to show tiny details in the ring/coin itself?

I did these shots with a CoolPix 990 point&shoot:

cameo3.jpg
cameo5.jpg

Last edited:
WOW....great shots with a "point&shoot"...
I need to get great detail shots of the ring itself, about as close and clear as your shots....Up until now I have been using a crapy Kodak easyshare on the up close setting but it's only a 3.1 MP :thumbdown: I plan on using the E-520 for everything else though so thats why I bought it. I guess I will see what the E-520 can do by itself when it gets here but most likely I will be adding the 10+ macro lens that screws on the end like a filter and see what that gets me....below is a picture I took with the old Kodak....its a wonder I ave been able to sell these rings at all...lol:lol:
1912barberhalf-1.jpg

mrcoinring

Do I need an extension tube with macro lenses or should I spend a little more money for a manual focus macro lens like a Olympus Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 lens?....I have no idea what to use. After buying the camera I am on a limited budget.
The cheapest route would be to buy a set of extension tubes and use it with the standard lens that comes with the Olympus...but I'm not sure if extension tubes are available for Olympus DSLRs.

I don't have any experience with the extension tubes but I can tell you the ZD 50mm is about as sharp as you can get... used they go for ~$300.

Your next option is a OM 50mm f1.4 or f1.8 with adapter. It's manual focus in aperture mode but produces great images, they go for ~$100 on ebay.

For a more Oly specific forum visit

For the ZD lens line up visit

And for OM lens infor go here and here and here

Cheers, Don

Ok Guys....thanks for your help.
I went ahead an bought a OM 50mm f1.8 with an adapter on ebay and only spent $50 for both shipped!! The lens is in wonderful shape too!
When I get it all in I will post the results and hopefully get some good tips ;)

Mr. Coinring, nice ring. It took me a few minutes to figure out how you managed that. Very cool! Good luck with your sales!

Thanks for the kind words......I guess I'm on to something as long as it helps with the bills, and maybe a new camera! :mrgreen:
I sell under the same name on that auction site if you ever wanna see more.

I don't have any experience with the extension tubes but I can tell you the ZD 50mm is about as sharp as you can get... used they go for ~$300.

Your next option is a OM 50mm f1.4 or f1.8 with adapter. It's manual focus in aperture mode but produces great images, they go for ~$100 on ebay.

For a more Oly specific forum visit

For the ZD lens line up visit

And for OM lens infor go here and here and here

Cheers, Don

What he said. :thumbup: The ZD 50 is a great lens. And with an externsion tube it becomes a super macro.

But you will get good photos with the 1.8 manual, just use a tripod, and be prepared to take a lot of test shots as it will be difficult to focus with the small viewfinder.

Last edited:
that's a cleverly designed ring.
extension tubes may be a bit excessive for what you doing, here.
they get very very close.

Last edited:
Sorry....I'm on ebay..;^)

Some time ago I got booted off of a car forum just for mentioning it so now its just a habit.

Small view finder? Part of the reason why I got this E-520 was because it has a secondary Live View sensor. :mrgreen:

I may go ahead and get the tube as they are pretty cheap, and yes I would like to get even closer to these rings and really show off the tiniest detail.

Sorry....I'm on ebay..;^)

Some time ago I got booted off of a car forum just for mentioning it so now its just a habit.

Small view finder? Part of the reason why I got this E-520 was because it has a secondary Live View sensor. :mrgreen:

I may go ahead and get the tube as they are pretty cheap, and yes I would like to get even closer to these rings and really show off the tiniest detail.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the live view....I hardly ever use it, but for macro work it is great.

you want a full-frame shot of the foot of the number 1 in '1912'? ok =)
go for it! :)) use a set of all three tubes at once, in series :))

WOW....those tube sets must really work!
I can admit that I really dont need to go that close, but it sure would be fun! :lol:

Most reactions

Back