Olympus E-PL1 or another similar priced camera for a beginner?

cratskomodo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey.
I'm not new to photography but I've never owned my own camera and was wondering what camera I should start off with.
I want a step up from a P&S, and I was looking at an Olympus e-pl1 to start with.
But before I make that investment I was wondering if there are any other cameras around the $600 price range, new or used, that would be a better than an Olympus for me.

I have an e-p1 and love it, but i am using it as my point and shoot when i don't feel like carrying around a lot of equipment.

My dealer was showing me the new Nikon cool p700 (?) or the 7000 and it looks like it has some great features, and is in your price range.

I have an e-p1 and love it, but i am using it as my point and shoot when i don't feel like carrying around a lot of equipment.

My dealer was showing me the new Nikon cool p700 (?) or the 7000 and it looks like it has some great features, and is in your price range.
^I just looked it up and I don't think you can switch the lens on that Nikon.
The reason I wanted an E-PL1 was for that reason.
I see you have an e-p1. How do you like it? How does it compare to your other DSLRs?

i am very pleased with the handling and the camera it's self.

the sensor isn't as large as a DSLR, but i also use a d700,but that doesn't count here.

With regard to a "normal dslr" the images are quite good and most can't tell the difference.

I believe your correct the nikon has a fixed lens but the pen has several options. I am using the 14mm 2.8 altho, at some time i have been told they will be making a mount for nikor lens, but frankly the main reason i got the pen was to use it as a "in my pocket , walking around camera:" and it has done a terrific job in that regard.

Have you checked into something used, i.e. D100 or D200?

However, the way enhancements move these days, the pen may be ahead of the D100 in some ways.

When i bought mine the cost was about 1000 dollars , a bit pricey for a point and shoot but well worth it for my needs. The price has dropped quite a bit so you should be in your price range, I am not sure about the pen-2 , but i know it is now available. However, it may have video. AM not sure. Video doesn't interest me so i haven't kept up with those features.

I had one to supplement my DSLR, but quickly realized the benefits of smaller size don't really pan out much.

Have you looked at DSLR's such as the Nikon D3100?

I had one to supplement my DSLR, but quickly realized the benefits of smaller size don't really pan out much.

Have you looked at DSLR's such as the Nikon D3100?
Kinda out of my price range.
I was thinking 600 at the most, but since the E-PL1 is 499, preferably around there.

i am very pleased with the handling and the camera it's self.

the sensor isn't as large as a DSLR, but i also use a d700,but that doesn't count here.

With regard to a "normal dslr" the images are quite good and most can't tell the difference.

I believe your correct the nikon has a fixed lens but the pen has several options. I am using the 14mm 2.8 altho, at some time i have been told they will be making a mount for nikor lens, but frankly the main reason i got the pen was to use it as a "in my pocket , walking around camera:" and it has done a terrific job in that regard.

Have you checked into something used, i.e. D100 or D200?

However, the way enhancements move these days, the pen may be ahead of the D100 in some ways.

When i bought mine the cost was about 1000 dollars , a bit pricey for a point and shoot but well worth it for my needs. The price has dropped quite a bit so you should be in your price range, I am not sure about the pen-2 , but i know it is now available. However, it may have video. AM not sure. Video doesn't interest me so i haven't kept up with those features.

Same here, have the D700+fast primes for work, and an E-P1 + 17 pancake for the point and shoot.

My girlfriend adores it and won't give it back to me :p

I was looking around at actual DSLRs, and saw that Canon had a couple models around my price range, the Rebel XS and the XSi. Would these be a better choice and a step up from an E-PL1?

I was looking around at actual DSLRs, and saw that Canon had a couple models around my price range, the Rebel XS and the XSi. Would these be a better choice and a step up from an E-PL1?

it kind of depends whether you're willing to bring around something which is bulkier when compared to the E-PL1. Most of the epl1 users use it for a dslr replacement when they're not doing serious work or paid jobs due to its portability and convenience.

Hello I am selling my Olympus epl1! Bought it like last year October. Willing to give tripod, one extra battery. Box,instructions and everyth included. warranty still not being used yet. it is in white and I hardly use it. The downside is I lost the lens cap but the lens have no scratches at all! Front cap can be found in local camera stalls but because I don't really use it so I didn't bother finding a lens cap haha! Willing to sell for 500 as I bought it for 799 last year without tripod. Can nego :) do MSG me at 83831633 if interested!

You are saying a step up from P&S but there are some P&S cameras that really are great cameras worth considering.

My advice is to consider the Canon G15.

Its a P&S and is directed to photography fans who want full control over their camera, bullet proof build quality, excellent Image Quality, good low light performance and a very fast high quality lens all for a round 400$.

This camera offers you shooting in jpeg or raw, shotting in Manual mode is just as easy as in a DSLR with 2 dials for apature and shutter speed.

I use my Canon G15 a lot when I dont feel like "Schleping" a big camera with me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back