olympus question

poorbucks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hello all, first timer here. Since I am extremely new at this I don't know who to ask.so here goes: I have an Olympus e420 with a few different lenses, I really like the camera, takes better pictures than I can. I was curious to know does Olympus have a current E-series camera to upgrade to? I have searched everywhere and all I come up with is E600, E-5?? can't remember if that's them though...........they seem to be a few years old at this point? I figured since I have a few lenses for the system, that I could eventually upgrade.....I guess what I'm asking is, should I hold onto this assuming they will be coming out with something new, or should I dump it all and go with something newer/ different when the time comes?? Thanks in advance

Hi poorbucks and welcome to the forum!

I own a couple of Olympus E-series lenses (Four Thirds) and adapt them to my micro four thirds cameras. These lenses are fabulous and I would not want to sell them. As I see it, you have four choices:

Option 1: Stick with your E420 - if you're still enjoying the camera and improving your skills, why "upgrade"? But, if you want or need some of the features of the latest cameras (e.g., wi-fi connectivity, video, 5 axis in-camera stabilization, etc.), then you might want to select one of the options below.

Option 2: Buy a mirrorless micro 4/3 camera such as the $1000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 (video, 5 axis stabilization) or $750 Panasonic G6 (wi-fi, video) plus either an Olympus MMF-3 or Panasonic MA1 adapter (I use the Panasonic).

Micro 4/3 is Olympus' successor to the E-series 4/3 format. Your lenses will still autofocus with these adapters, but AF will be a little slow with classic 4/3 lenses.

Option 3: Wait a few months for the recently leaked Olympus OM-D E-M1, which will also need an MMF-3 or MA1 adapter, but it will have phase detect autofocus, like your DSLR, so your lenses will autofocus just as quickly as with your E420.

Option 4: Sell your E420 and E-series lenses, and switch to one of the mass market brands (e.g., Nikon, Canon). This option would require the biggest change to your setup, and is likely to incur the largest out-of-pocket costs, but would give you access to the widest range of camera body and lens choices.

My vote would be for Option 1 - unless you really feel the need for video, faster frame rates, less bulk or some other feature your 2004 Olympus DSLR lacks.

In that case, I would look seriously at Option 2. The OM-D E-M5 is a terrific camera that produces great images and is adaptable to your existing lenses.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your decision!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Please follow HCR on Blogger, YouTube and Google+

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would take option 3.

AF with FT to MFT adapter is more than "little" slow with current options. Its far from the ideal IMO.

Of course, this depends on the FT lenses in question... are they worth it?

Hi poorbucks and welcome to the forum!

I own a couple of Olympus E-series lenses (Four Thirds) and adapt them to my micro four thirds cameras. These lenses are fabulous and I would not want to sell them. As I see it, you have four choices:

Option 1: Stick with your E420 - if you're still enjoying the camera and improving your skills, why "upgrade"? But, if you want or need some of the features of the latest cameras (e.g., wi-fi connectivity, video, 5 axis in-camera stabilization, etc.), then you might want to select one of the options below.

Option 2: Buy a mirrorless micro 4/3 camera such as the $1000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 (video, 5 axis stabilization) or $750 Panasonic G6 (wi-fi, video) plus either an Olympus MMF-3 or Panasonic MA1 adapter (I use the Panasonic).

Micro 4/3 is Olympus' successor to the E-series 4/3 format. Your lenses will still autofocus with these adapters, but AF will be a little slow with classic 4/3 lenses.

Option 3: Wait a few months for the recently leaked Olympus OM-D E-M1, which will also need an MMF-3 or MA1 adapter, but it will have phase detect autofocus, like your DSLR, so your lenses will autofocus just as quickly as with your E420.

Option 4: Sell your E420 and E-series lenses, and switch to one of the mass market brands (e.g., Nikon, Canon). This option would require the biggest change to your setup, and is likely to incur the largest out-of-pocket costs, but would give you access to the widest range of camera body and lens choices.

My vote would be for Option 1 - unless you really feel the need for video, faster frame rates, less bulk or some other feature your 2004 Olympus DSLR lacks.

In that case, I would look seriously at Option 2. The OM-D E-M5 is a terrific camera that produces great images and is adaptable to your existing lenses.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your decision!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Please follow HCR on Blogger, YouTube and Google+

great, thanks for the information. I definitely plan on keeping the 420, I just happened to start looking at some of the latest cameras that use the 4/3 and got a little curious, and noticed that there hasn't been a new model in a while? Also, if the day should come to upgrade, it would be nice to not have to worry about buying new lenses. anyways, thanks!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back