Olympus E300

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.fsharpphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey gang,

Perhaps I'm whipping a dead horse here...I don't know. I'm an Olympus guy and have been for years. I started years back with the E-300 and last year upgraded to the E3. I like the olympus cameras but the photography outfitters around me don't ever seem to have much in stock for this brand. I'm tired of hearing "its a couple weeks delivery on that". Then there is the 4/3 to full frame debate...And Olympus has the new sensor now, right? What about megapixles? There are many things to consider...

Perhaps I'm just drifting...But I seem to be drifting away from my beloved Olympus. I have several lenses and other gear for my bodies. Changing brands now might seem absurd to some of you but I can feel myself gravitating away from this brand.

I know that there are many threads where the OP asks "which brand is best" and that's not what I am meaning to do here. But because I only truely know MY cameras, I'm having a hard time determining which brand I might want to flock to should I drop the E3. Basically, this thread is asking for a list of pros and cons (from people who use the gear and have intimate knowledge of the products) in regards to my E3 in comparison to other brands. I could only ever see myself going to either a Canon or a Nikon though (strictly for avaliabillty reasons).

One last thing...With the gear listed below (all in "like new condition"), what do you think I might be able to trade for. I'm OK with trading for just a body right now if that is what it takes... Educate me on what I might be able to expect in regards to a brand swap. I'm not interested in junk!

Thanks folks!
- Daniel

Currently in my camera case I have the following :
- Olympus E-300
- Olympus E-3
- Zuiko 70-300mm ED f4-5.6
- Zuiko 40-150mm f3.5-4.5
- Zuiko 14-45mm f3.5-5.6
- Zuiko 35mm f3.5
- EC-20 2x Tele Converter
- FL-50R wireless flash

I am a Canon shooter, but I am far from a fanboy. There's the saying, "The grass isn't always greener on the other side." What do you do with your photography? What are you planning to do? If you are just a hobbyist (like most people here) why then, do you really want to upgrade? That camera will take fantastic shots. If your local store doesn't carry what you want, and tells you that it'll be a couple weeks, tell them that you can get it faster and cheaper online, and walk out the door. Remember, you aren't required to support a local store simply because it's a local store. If they give you poor service, or service that is sub-par, go where you can get better service.

It looks like you've already invested a lot of money into your kit. I have little idea what you could get for selling it, but I can tell you'd it'd likely be less than half of what you spent on it. Research what it would cost to replace all that equipment you have from another brand, and ask yourself if it's worth it. The gripes you have about your brand seem more superficial than anything else. Honestly, it seems more like Canon/Nikon envy.

If you have your heart set on switching, don't let me or anyone else get in your way, but make absolutely sure that's what you want to do. Changing is expensive. Your shots are likely not to improve, just with a new brand. From everything I hear, Olympus, although they were a bit late to the DSLR game, still make great cameras. This is just food for thought.

Bottom line: Make sure, if you do switch, it's for the right reasons. Or else it's just a waste of your time/money.

Olympus has that small sensor...that's the Achilles heel of the system. Oly has very few prime lenses, and their "good zooms" are very expensive. The FOV factor of 2.0x is very limiting on shallow depth of field stuff at normal apertures and under normal flash shooting limitations of f/stop,ISO,and synch speed. Resale on their gear is not so good, due to low demand,and a small user base. Luckily, eBay reaches all over the world, so you could sell the stuff off to a wide audience,and get decent resale out of your kit.

If you are used to Olympus's ergonomics and logical controls, Nikon would make a reasonably easy transition, since their ergonomics and body control ethos is more-traditional, as is that of Olympus. Pentax would also make a good transition for you, but they do not have the full-frame option, and probably will not for some time. Nikon has a good wireless flash controller system built-in to its mid- and higher-level bodies.

You're in a good position if you want to switch out of Oly and into another brand...right now, the d-slr world has a lot of good products on the market. If you have a specialty area, it's possible that Canon or Nikon, one of the two, might be a better system for you, based on "specialty" products, or based on what,exactly, you want from the system you purchase. For example, if you want easy, ultra-close-ups, Canon's MPE-65 lens is a pretty sweet piece of kit...no other d-slr company has that specific type of macro lens that I am aware of. If you want the best ultra-wide zoom, Nikon's 14-24mm is unmatched by any other company's wide-angle lenses. Canon now has an amazing 8-15mm fisheye zoom....nobody else has that! And so on,and so on....Nikon has the 200-400 VR lens,also unmatched...Pentax has some VERY nice focal lengths for the 1.5x shooter as well.

Gaerek...Good input! Thank you! You may be right...It may be Canon/Nikon envy. Perhaps a little soul searching will sort that out. I honestly can't say at this time...LoL.

I'm strictly just a hobbiest right now. I do however find a great deal of enjoyment in photography and work very hard at understanding and learning the trade. Down the road I would like to see myself making a few dollars with it. Not too soon though.

The other thing is that both Henry's locations and the Don's Photography near me have very little in stock for Olympus. Sure it's easy to buy online (and I do) but there is something to be said for being able to rent or "try" a product before buying. Wouldn't you agree?

I'm off to work now and won't be back at the computer desk until some time Sunday if all goes well. Keep replying folks...I'll read what you all have to say when I get back! Thanks a bunch!!

Cheers!!
- Daniel

First off, Derrel makes some very good points. If it weren't for the 4/3 sensor on the Olympus, there'd really be very little reason to change, but that might well be enough reason.

Gaerek...Good input! Thank you! You may be right...It may be Canon/Nikon envy. Perhaps a little soul searching will sort that out. I honestly can't say at this time...LoL.

That's the best bet. Just think about it. It's your decision. And it's good your getting good arguments from both sides. I just want to make sure that whatever you do decide, it's informed.

I do however find a great deal of enjoyment in photography and work very hard at understanding and learning the trade. Down the road I would like to see myself making a few dollars with it. Not too soon though.
And that might be the very reason to switch. :)

The other thing is that both Henry's locations and the Don's Photography near me have very little in stock for Olympus. Sure it's easy to buy online (and I do) but there is something to be said for being able to rent or "try" a product before buying. Wouldn't you agree?
Absolutely. It's certainly a drawback not being able to try things out first. Where I live, however, I don't really have that option no matter what brand I shoot. I don't have a good photo shop where I live, which happens to be on an island. Only when I get off "The Rock" do a get a chance to try things out. But certainly, if you have shop nearby, it's nice to be able to try and feel products before you lay down the hard earned cash.

Gear envy is a tough one.

I had it, Nikon's advertising has been particularly effective on me :)

So I did some research. Compared bodies and lenses equal to or slightly better than what I have and decided to stick with Olympus.

The "small sensor" argument is a positive thing, IMHO. The bodies/lenses are smaller, lighter and for wildlife work have more reach. If you compare other brands lenses in the same quality range you will find the Oly is slightly less expensive.

If you absolutely must shoot by the light of a candle, you should consider another brand.

Used prices are roughly -

- Olympus E-300 - $130
- Olympus E-3 - $650
- Zuiko 70-300mm ED f4-5.6 - $250
- Zuiko 40-150mm f3.5-4.5 - $100
- Zuiko 14-45mm f3.5-5.6 - $100
- Zuiko 35mm f3.5 - $130
- EC-20 2x Tele Converter - $370
- FL-50R wireless flash - $300

If you do decide to sell, I highly recommend you do it through FourThirdsPhoto.com | Home

Cheers, Don

Thanks Don... I'll keep that in mind. I'm glad that you chimed in as I knew that you were an Olympus guy. I must admit, Nikon has been sparking an interest in me as of late. I have a cousin that shoots with a Canon and the Rebel has had my eye as well.

In all honesty, the photo stores around me lack greatly in the Olympus department. As a result, finding gear to rent or try before using has really been a battle. Coughing up cash for a product without being able to hold it or test it (online buying) has been my plague for over a year now. This alone has me leaning towards another brand.

I've heard that Nikon has some very fine glass. I've also heard that Canon is very versatile. I've heard but haven't experienced any of this. Perhaps if I just rented a different body and lens for a week or so, I would be able to decide whether or not the band wagon jump is valid or not...Then again, that's cash that I could put towards a new body...LoL!

I am curious about the full frame sensor bodies though. While I've been happy with the 4/3 system, I can't help but feel that a full frame is the way to go. It's bound to stay more current and always have a place in the trade. The 4/3 seems to be on the block...Or is it?

At the end of the day, I am probably just suffering from gear envy. Then again, my hang-ups about the Olympus brand seem to be justified. Aren't they?

Would anyone care to recommend a Nikon or Canon body? Something with some serious horse power... Something that is bound to stay at the top of the technology curve for a little while yet... Something that might peak my interest and light a fire under me to investigate further...

Cheers!
- Daniel

I am curious about the full frame sensor bodies though. While I've been happy with the 4/3 system, I can't help but feel that a full frame is the way to go. It's bound to stay more current and always have a place in the trade. The 4/3 seems to be on the block...Or is it?

This is impossible to say, especially for DSLR's. For the EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens) type systems, it seems very well suited to the task. Something to consider, however, Olympus was the first company to say that they were done keeping the megapixel myth alive, and they were going to work on other things like less high ISO noise, and things like that. I won't say that they are doing any better than Nikon/Canon at the moment, because I don't know, but while Olympus said 10MP is enough, Canon was (and is) still releasing 15MP P&S cameras.

At the end of the day, I am probably just suffering from gear envy. Then again, my hang-ups about the Olympus brand seem to be justified. Aren't they?
Only you can decide that. I personally don't see the lack of being able to try before you buy as a serious hangup, but then again, I'm in a different situation than you (see above post). The other things, well, it's justified if you think they are. At the end of the day, it's your money. If you think that it's worth switching, then do it! If you think your gear is limiting you, go ahead and switch. But if you don't, then it might be worth reconsidering.

Would anyone care to recommend a Nikon or Canon body? Something with some serious horse power... Something that is bound to stay at the top of the technology curve for a little while yet... Something that might peak my interest and light a fire under me to investigate further...
This is tough. What's your budget? Do you want any lenses with that? Is full frame important, or would you be content with a 1.5x (or 1.6x for Canon) body?

Nikon is releasing the d7000 soon, which seems to be a real contender. The Canon 60d just came out, and although it's not the camera I had been hoping for, it still looks like a great buy. If you have a bit more cash on the Canon side, the 7d is arguably (and the d7000 might knock it off this spot) the best crop body you can buy. Full frame will cost you over $2k just for a body, unless you can find a used 5d mki or something like that. If your budget's a bit tighter, the Rebel 2Ti seems to be a nice camera, and will likely do what you want it to do. As far as Nikon, I don't know enough about their stuff to really recommend much so I'll let someone else help you there.

You really need to try a HG level lens on the E-3 Before you make your decision.

The 14-54mm goes for ~$350 used.

That is if IQ is a factor.

Cheers, Don

Last edited:
The biggest draw back to olympus is the Severely cropped sensor, and the lack of lenses. Personally, i LOVE my nikon gear. But i wish nikon offered an f4 line like canon does. Go to a big camera store and try out a nikon and a canon, and see what feels better. Its all about ergonomics really. If you spend 10 grand on gear, you arent really gunna like it if its not comfortable and easy to use. Try them out before you sell all your gear and trade.

You really need to try a HG level lens on the E-3 Before you make your decision.

The 14-54mm goes for ~$350 used.

That is if IQ is a factor.

Cheers, Don

Do you know if there is a major difference between the Mark I and the Mark II Don? Would you recommend the Mark II over the Mark I? Just curious...

Cheers!
- Daniel

Lens Topics Olympus zuiko 14-54 f2.8 versus MkII - Fourthirdsphoto Forum

I have the mk1 so I can't comment on the mk2 :)

Consider this, you are shooting with Standard Grade/kit lenses on a until recently top of the line camera and are considering a change to a different system.

I would suggest that you are not utilizing the full potential of the camera.

If you switch brands and continue to use lower grade lenses you may not see an improvement.

How deep are your pockets ? :)

How is your current body holding you back ?

Cheers, Don

Last edited:
Thanks Don. I don't think that I have ever suggested that the body is holding me back - it isn't! I do realize that higher grade lenses will make a world of difference, however, neither the camera body nor the image quality are serious concerns of mine at this time. Though, you do make a very good point.

I suppose I just need some reassurance that the 4/3 system will be around for a while yet before I go ahead and pump more money into lenses. As previously stated, the inability to find a camera shop with a well stocked Olympus section has me frustrated. That and the "want" for a full frame - yet I'm not really sure why...? Envy perhaps...

Cheers!
- Daniel

Cant comment specifically on Olympus, but I understand where your coming from with regards to limited stock etc. I was Pentax and wanted more. More availability, more speed on getting products, more offers - I went with Nikon 2yrs ago and my system has grown and so has my confidence. I realise I felt like I was being held back with Pentax.

Most reactions

Back