OMG Dave needs a headshot right now! C & C please

JohnnyWrench

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Gang- So yesterday afternoon my director comes to me and says she needs a headshot taken of a staff member for a story the Phoenix Business Journal is doing. Of course they need it NOW because of a deadline or something. Anyway I shot this in a very poorly lit government office with an SB-700 on a stand to camera left and my 85 1.8. I was in and out in less than 15 minutes and spent another 15 minutes or so in post. I imagine this photo will be printed fairly small but it's getting published none the less. How did I do?

Edit: Second attempt on the right with more headroom and the jacket taken down a bit. There was a ceiling light right above his head which is why it was so closely cropped in the first version. I'm not sure how convincing my cloning is to get rid of it. And that spot above his shoulder is going to stay for now but it's definitely highlighted a weakness in my PS abilities. Need to study up on the practical application of the refine edge tool and/or channel based selections. Or better still... Pay more attention when looking through the viewfinder!

Attachments

• $DaveHeadshot.jpg
    $DaveHeadshot.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 138
  • $DaveHeadshot v2.jpg
    $DaveHeadshot v2.jpg
    1,007.8 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
I think you did not too badly at all. I would suggest cloning out that bit of dark background that runs from his shoulder to his cheek image left.

It could use a bit more top space...he's realllllly "crowding the edges" of the frame, pretty hard, and the huge preponderance of the bottom of the frame is "all jacket", and his head is just crammed into that small remaining space. That makes the shot feel "cramped".

I think the background shadows are actually pretty nifty--they really give a nice 3-D feeling. The placement of the subject within the room was very well-done I think. He has a sort of halo around his head, which at small size will look pretty good. I might be tempted to use an adjustment brushy and "paint down" the one side of his jacket, which is pretty light compared to the other side of the jacket. If ther jacket were toned down on that one side, the light patches on the background behind his head would reallllly move the focus up, and to his FACE.

Thanks for taking the time guys, I appreciate it. I agree the shot is a bit cramped and I like the idea of painting down his jacket to shift emphasis to his face. And that spot above his shoulder will surely test my Photoshop skill because of the beard. Working through hair is always a huge challenge for me. I'll give this edit another go and repost it.

I'd like to see less contrast in the background, and more room above head.

not bad at all, Although there is a halo around his head I believe? and like the above comments, slightly more top space if you shoot like this if not maybe shooting closer to go into the face rather than the suit.

Thats my input GJ though :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back