What's new

On Camera Flash really is worthless isn't it ?

I have mine taped down so it doesn't pop up by accident and ruin the exposure
 
If the built in flash is an pop-up and can be pulled back to bounce off a ceiling you can get some nice indoor photo`s , they might also be useful for close outdoor portrait and back-light portraight shots.

John.
 
I have mine taped down so it doesn't pop up by accident and ruin the exposure

Stop shooting in full auto-mode and ruining the exposure, shutter speed, and DOF...

If the built in flash is an pop-up and can be pulled back to bounce off a ceiling you can get some nice indoor photo`s , they might also be useful for close outdoor portrait and back-light portraight shots.

John.


this is what got me into strobism: Lightscoop | PRO-LIKE PHOTOS WITH YOUR BUILT IN FLASH!

pretty sure I used it here back in 2009:

1915716_705207082446_2276356_n.jpg


D40 with a 35mm 1.8 so you can see I was very close to my kittie and just bounce the flash off the ceiling.
 
I don't shoot in full auto.
My camera doesn't even have full auto. What happens is I bump the flash release button and the flash deactivates the hotshoe causing my studio strobes not to fire as planned.
 
gotcha. I thought you were suggesting it pops-up when you dont want to use it; something that would only happen in AUTO (or creative) mode.
 
They're good for snap shots of people and for back fill lighting. Some cameras allow intensity adjustments so they don't wash out subjects, especially subjects that are very close. They're good for taking pictures in dark places when you don't have a flashlight and then seeing what is there. They're good for taking pictures of nameplate labels on equipment in dark places when you're shooting really close. They're good for taking pictures to see what's behind furniture or behind equipment and other places that don't have easy access or you can't see behind. Hey, even under beds when you're looking for, well, you're looking for something.
 
I don't shoot in full auto.
My camera doesn't even have full auto. What happens is I bump the flash release button and the flash deactivates the hotshoe causing my studio strobes not to fire as planned.

Learn how to properly grip the camera dude! ;-)

"See, we use the pentaprism side here as a hand-rest! It's puuuure geeeeen-ius on Nikon's part!"

"Yeah, the guy slammed into the back of my car!! I MEANT to hit the gas pedal, but I slammed on the brakes instead!"
 
Nah, so much easier to use gaffer tape and keep the flash stuck shut.
 
It is all about controlling the light. Even an on camera flash can give you some amazing shots if you know how to use that light.
 
It is all about controlling the light. Even an on camera flash can give you some amazing shots if you know how to use that light.

Yes and no. On camera flash is designed to light up faces. The flash is weak and is pretty much only good for a very slight fill.
 
SAY WHAT !!!!!!!
:soapbox::gun:Who said said a on camera flash is worthless ?

let me set up my 12x Canon EX-600 RT's and then you shoot with with out flash and let know whose shoots look better and are correctly exposed. Heck i all ways run 95% of the time with 1 speed light on my 1dx and defuser it and it is works perfect. Or even the holy grail combo with Better beamer and my canon 300mm f/2.8 IS USM II i have gotten some of my greatest wild life shots using that.
 
SAY WHAT !!!!!!! :soapbox::gun:Who said said a on camera flash is worthless ? let me set up my 12x Canon EX-600 RT's and then you shoot with with out flash and let know whose shoots look better and are correctly exposed. Heck i all ways run 95% of the time with 1 speed light on my 1dx and defuser it and it is works perfect. Or even the holy grail combo with Better beamer and my canon 300mm f/2.8 IS USM II i have gotten some of my greatest wild life shots using that.

We are talking about the pop up variety.
 
SAY WHAT !!!!!!! :soapbox::gun:Who said said a on camera flash is worthless ? let me set up my 12x Canon EX-600 RT's and then you shoot with with out flash and let know whose shoots look better and are correctly exposed. Heck i all ways run 95% of the time with 1 speed light on my 1dx and defuser it and it is works perfect. Or even the holy grail combo with Better beamer and my canon 300mm f/2.8 IS USM II i have gotten some of my greatest wild life shots using that.

We are talking about the pop up variety.

Oh sorry.

Awkward :drool2::drool2:
 
I have a built in. I have no idea why, I never use it. Anyway, I have a Neewer speedlite that actually seems to work.

IMG_1052 by longm1985, on Flickr

Just gotta hope it works the way you want it to. I find that using it on a lower power is better. I used the bounce card too.
 
I've been using a speed light mounted directly on the camera for fill light as in these taken recently.
Being directly on the camera does not seem to hurt (at least to me).

140808-3383-L.jpg


140712-BalboaPark-2841-L.jpg
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom