On site sports photography

I'd posted in the other thread which was changed to ask about what lens to use for baseball; that makes me think you'd need to start by taking photos, getting some experience, and then putting together a portfolio or some samples of your work. Eventually you'd need to talk to the event organizers and get permission and I'd think they'd want to see your work and find out how you'd operate this type venture - they'd probably want to know what you can offer.

I've seen this done at large tournaments and there are usually a number of photographers and as mentioned, someone needed to run the slideshow, make prints, take orders, etc.

Smart pricing for example would be: $12 for one 4x6, $22 for 2 - 4x6 ($11 each), $30 for 3 - 4x6 ($10 each), and $35 for 4 - 4x6 ($8.75 each).

In these days of ubiquitous cameras and the knowledge that CVS makes a 4x6 for 30 cents, how many crazy people do you think you can depend on meeting who will pay $12 for a 4x6 unless it is a perfect shot of a one time moment?

In these days of ubiquitous cameras and the knowledge that CVS makes a 4x6 for 30 cents, how many crazy people do you think you can depend on meeting who will pay $12 for a 4x6 unless it is a perfect shot of a one time moment?

Depends on the shot.

Personally, I don't know that there's any shortage of overly proud parents willing to shell out bucks for a picture of their precious little Timmy in his uniform down at the hot corner. I don't think there's any shortage of those people at all...

Depends on the shot.

Personally, I don't know that there's any shortage of overly proud parents willing to shell out bucks for a picture of their precious little Timmy in his uniform down at the hot corner. I don't think there's any shortage of those people at all...

Those are the operative words and not a good basis for a business plan.
I shoot young people's soccer and adult bicycle racing routinely and there are always many parents and other onlookers with cameras.
An inexperienced shooter going to games with the expectation of amortizing his/her costs is totally unrealistic.

I did this for a few years when times were good since the down turn people look at the shots but dont buy like they used to, it has got very over saturated thats why i got out plus it used to bore me ****less

Depends on the shot.

Those are the operative words and not a good basis for a business plan.
I shoot young people's soccer and adult bicycle racing routinely and there are always many parents and other onlookers with cameras.
An inexperienced shooter going to games with the expectation of amortizing his/her costs is totally unrealistic.

I was speaking rhetorically. It's like saying "I don't know that Shania Twain could ever be not sexy". Okay, it's not exactly like that, but you know what I'm saying. I also never offered it as a "business plan". But it would be stupid to dismiss the reality of it. The fact that people will buy should not be dismissed, especially if the goal is to sell.

We don't know that he's "inexperienced" as a photographer. What we know is that he's seeking out some information regarding shooting in a particular venue, and how to capitalize on that. That's what we know. It's silly to jump to the conclusion that, because he's asking that question, that he's an inexperienced shooter.

I don't shoot baseball. I've just never had the opportunity nor the desire. But I'll tell you this: Put me at a game with my camera, and I'm confident that the quality of what I come away with will far surpass that from a Mom or Dad who are out there every week with their Digital Rebel and Quantaray glass. The inexperience of shooting baseball is a minor thing which will be quickly surmounted. After that, it's about the proficiency of the photographer and, in this case, we simply don't know enough about the OP's proficiency to call him an "inexperienced shooter"...

I was speaking rhetorically. It's like saying "I don't know that Shania Twain could ever be not sexy". Okay, it's not exactly like that, but you know what I'm saying. I also never offered it as a "business plan". But it would be stupid to dismiss the reality of it. The fact that people will buy should not be dismissed, especially if the goal is to sell.

We don't know that he's "inexperienced" as a photographer. What we know is that he's seeking out some information regarding shooting in a particular venue, and how to capitalize on that. That's what we know. It's silly to jump to the conclusion that, because he's asking that question, that he's an inexperienced shooter.

I don't shoot baseball. I've just never had the opportunity nor the desire. But I'll tell you this: Put me at a game with my camera, and I'm confident that the quality of what I come away with will far surpass that from a Mom or Dad who are out there every week with their Digital Rebel and Quantaray glass. The inexperience of shooting baseball is a minor thing which will be quickly surmounted. After that, it's about the proficiency of the photographer and, in this case, we simply don't know enough about the OP's proficiency to call him an "inexperienced shooter"...

I don't know that the Flying Spaghetti Monster won't swoop down and buy all the guy's pictures and give him diamonds in return.
There is a name for the kind of ventures that go into a situation without knowing or trying to know the potential market; they are called 'failures.'
The unfortunate reality is that while your camera, lens and product might be better, that's probably not obvious to the average customer, particularly on a 4x6 print.

Seeming to give advice by talking about things you don't know about is a passive aggressive move.
You say you don't know if there isn't a market is implying that there possibly is.

A good business planner is based on the evidence that there is a market not the lack of evidence that there isn't.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back