one for C&C.. Wife's iris

What look/quality were you shooting for?

You want it more magnified? A macro lens or extension tube is what you need.

Yeah, you need something that can focus closer as Jarmo said, like a macro lens - or use extension tubes.

I took this one of my own eye with a 50mm f/1.8 and a set of ebay $10 extension tubes.

4891091206_6710f58a04_z.jpg

Yeah, you need something that can focus closer as Jarmo said, like a macro lens - or use extension tubes.

I took this one of my own eye with a 50mm f/1.8 and a set of ebay $10 extension tubes.

this is what im going for. very nice reznap.

Where is that shadow across her cheek coming from? She's got one above her eyebrow too. It almost looks like shadows from a pair of eyeglasses.

Can I ask how you did this? How did you focus?

Trial and error. I sat there with the camera in front of me and tried over and over... took about 80 shots (well.. maybe not that many, but a lot). The (bare) flash was fired remotely and sitting off to my right side (camera left).

Less than ideal framing but I was very lucky with the focus.

Good luck!

Trial and error. I sat there with the camera in front of me and tried over and over... took about 80 shots (well.. maybe not that many, but a lot). The (bare) flash was fired remotely and sitting off to my right side (camera left).

Less than ideal framing but I was very lucky with the focus.

Good luck!

I was thinking about using Live View and a mirror to try and get the focusing right. I'm going to try tonight!
Did you use extension tubes? If so, how many?

Did you use extension tubes? If so, how many?

55mm worth, which was all of the ones in my set. The front element of the 50mm was about 3 or 4 inches from my eye and what you see in that picture filled the frame (it's not cropped). There aren't any contacts on those tubes so I had to stop the lens down and dismount it with the DOF preview button held down to keep the aperture blades closed (they open by default on canon). Because of this, I wouldn't have seen anything in live view (too dark with f/16 or whatever I had forced the lens to).

awesome shot... I think teathered shooting may have made it a little easier though? def something i'm going to try when I get macro tubes... eyes are so awesome

Most reactions

Back