Photos NOT OK to edit
About the only one I was happy the way the scan came out from the day's shoot:

Bottle%20Jacks%204x5%20post.jpg

Shen Hao HZX45-IIA
Calumet 210mmf/5.6
13 seconds
f/16
Exposure determined with both incident and 1° spot meters using Gossen Starlite
Open garage door about 5' to left of subjects.
Fill flash from Nikon SB600 speedlight set at 1/8 power, fired 7-9 times from right side
Ilford Delta 100 shot @ N-1
Developed in Ilford DD-X at 68°F for 9:30, 60-sec agitations.

Comments welcome!

I wish this had been the drill press or one of hte other images, but you did a GREAT job on the set-up and exposure.

Shooting at N-1 and pulling the developing sure brought the dynamic range into a usable scale for scanning. I'll have to see if it wet prints just as nice.

I wish this had been the drill press or one of hte other images, but you did a GREAT job on the set-up and exposure.

I shot two of the grinder & drill press. But given it takes forever and a day to scan them (I like to do so at full rez for maximum detail), it will be a while before I get to those. Work comes first, as it's what pays for my toys.

Looks better than your digitals.

Oh, OK, a quick-n-dirty scan:

Grinder%20and%20Drill%20Press%202%20post.jpg

Love the bottle jacks! A gorgeous B&W, beautiful texture and tonal range. Terrific!

........ beautiful texture.........

So far, no one seems to have noticed that cross-hatch pattern that sometimes shows up on downsized images. Look closely at the rusted bottoms of the jacks.

Look at the rusty bottom of the left jack... between the 'bump' and the hook in the background. There's a square pattern like you're looking through hardware cloth held right in front of your face.

I see that only in the form of little white crosses in very strong magnification. It is it ?

Last edited:
Yes. It shows up in the bases of both jacks. It must be an artifact of downsizing from the 15,000-pixel original to the posted 800 - pixel image in 1 step.

If I downsize in multiple steps, it doesn't appear.

Yes. It shows up in the bases of both jacks. It must be an artifact of downsizing from the 15,000-pixel original to the posted 800 - pixel image in 1 step.

If I downsize in multiple steps, it doesn't appear.
Magic of digital.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back