One last request for friendly feedback

tsipma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This one is simply a cute critter that is intent on something out of the frame.

You know you can add more then one image to a post right? You can most recommended up to about 5 photos, just make sure to number your photos. You'll get more direct CC this way as opposed to having scattered posts. Also, uploading them through photobucket or something and posting it that way so the photos are larger will get you a lot more feedback.

The subject is out of focus and is a bit soft, but I don't know what camera you use, I know I use a compact and have immense difficulty focusing and a lot of my photo are out of focus. And the very bottom is out of frame.

I like the expression, you can really tell he has a strong interest in whatever he is looking and looks like a pre-action shot, like he's just about to take off! Also I like the fact you didn't center him.

You know you can add more then one image to a post right? You can most recommended up to about 5 photos, just make sure to number your photos. You'll get more direct CC this way as opposed to having scattered posts. Also, uploading them through photobucket or something and posting it that way so the photos are larger will get you a lot more feedback.
I am currently working on building my Flicker, until then, this is the best I have, but thanks for the suggestion.

I decided to post each in their individual thread to keep the subject of discussion focused, but I have noticed many others do post multiple photos in their threads.

The subject is out of focus and is a bit soft, but I don't know what camera you use, I know I use a compact and have immense difficulty focusing and a lot of my photo are out of focus. And the very bottom is out of frame.
I'm not sure what you mean by a bit soft, but I am using a Canon D20. I am way too inexperienced to even try to manually focus right now. I am still trying to learn the functions of my camera. The only thing out of the frame is his tail. Trying to include that I think would get too much in the picture. As it is, you have a Meerkat and whatever your mind imagines he is looking at.

I like the expression, you can really tell he has a strong interest in whatever he is looking and looks like a pre-action shot, like he's just about to take off! Also I like the fact you didn't center him.
I have a few other shots of this little guy that are a little more centered, but this one really gives you the opportunity to finish the story however your mind wants.

Yes, the focus is soft, meaning it's slightly out of focus. Auto focus is probably just fine for this shot, but are you at least choosing your focal point? You really want to see tack sharp eyes.

As for the framing. I do like that he's on the one side, I just wish he weren't quite so close to the edge. His toes are on the verge of being snipped and the fur on his chest does actually extend out of the frame.

A little more contrast between the critter and the background colors would have been nice also but I don't imagine he would have taken well to being reposed in a new location.

When I get back to my computer later I will post another shot of this guy not right on the edge as a comparison.

In regards to choosing my focal point with my camera, I know there is a setting that allows it, but I don't remember how. I am still learning everything it does.

A lot of times I like landscape aspect when the subject is off to one side and there is nothing else but empty space, but this one doesn't work for me. I think it would work better as a portrait crop, or maybe even square.

A lot of times I like landscape aspect when the subject is off to one side and there is nothing else but empty space, but this one doesn't work for me. I think it would work better as a portrait crop, or maybe even square.
I like the landscape aspect with all the emptiness just to get your mind going. What is he looking at? Is he going to jump off the picture and chase something? Is something coming up from behind?

With that said, I think a tighter square or portrait with a very sharp focus would be a great shot too, but with less of a story.

Here is the Meerkat a little closer to center:

And here he in a wider shot:

These aren't posted for C&C, but to compare to the OP. I don't like the second one for many reasons but mostly because you can see the wall in the back proving that this is just a zoo picture.

Many of us will not click on a photo, or link, that takes us away from TPF. These tiny thumbnails from Flickr suck, and are virtually useless for C&C without clicking on them and pumping up Flickr's hit count.

Some of us recommend posting images 1 at a time for C&C.

Last edited:
I like the "closer to center" one better than the one where he's right on the edge. But I think someone between those two would be even better. I'm starting to think along the same lines as bazooka though that a portrait orientation would be best. I know you say you like the empty space but I'm not sure it really makes for the strongest image and I'll explain why.

As I think I mentioned before, the background is too much the same color as the meerkat. It doesn't allow the 'kat to "pop" and so he just blends in. This doesn't give me any sense of tension that he's ready to pounce any second now. Whereas if he filled the frame, you'd lose most of that extra brown and he'd really be the center of attention. Yes, that means he'd have no room to run or pounce or whatever, I must admit your image of him on the edge confuses me with regard to that. His head is pointed the opposite direction from his body so which direction is he going to go? Your placement of him on the left edge essentially forces me to assume he'll go backwards and I'm not sure I agree with that. Again, making him the center of the frame, I can assume he'll go whichever direction I want to think he will.

Many of us will not click on a photo, or link, that takes us away from TPF. These tiny thumbnails from Flickr suck, and are virtually useless for C&C without clicking on them and pumping up Flickr's hit count.

just a point but these are TPF links to the gallery we have attached to the site itself ;)

I like the landscape aspect with all the emptiness just to get your mind going. What is he looking at? Is he going to jump off the picture and chase something? Is something coming up from behind?

With that said, I think a tighter square or portrait with a very sharp focus would be a great shot too, but with less of a story.

I'm glad you know why you put him there, I think that is excellent. I cannot argue with your reasoning. It does give me that uneasy, unbalanced feeling. I do feel the tension with that composition. I personally don't like that for this shot, but that's just my opinion. I'm just thrilled to know that you cropped with purpose.

I also like the "little closer to center" version better than the original crop. I think I'd like to see a bit room at the top so he can have room to stand up tall if he wants, and some at the bottom so we can see what he's standing on, but again, the tight space makes it feel clausterphobic and uneasy, so if that's what you were going for, then I think it is effective.

The thumbnail doesn't take you away from TPF, it takes you to my gallery on TPF. I don't have any photos in Flickr. Just saying....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back