One more of my Muse Nicolo

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few days ago I had to say goodbye to my good friend and muse Nicolo before I moved back to Ketchikan Alaska for the Summer. Of course, I had to get one last shot of him before leaving.

What I like most about this image is the lighting. When I photograph men, I want to portray them in a romantic way and I try to use light to help convey this feeling. I know the lighting is a bit unconventional and some may not like it, but it was very intentional. I also removed a good deal of creases from the garment, but I intentionally left some wrinkles for contrast.

screen_shot_2015_04_30_at_4_48_13_pm_by_danostergren-d8ro7xz.png

_mg_3878_2_by_danostergren-d8otfwx.jpg

http://orig15.deviantart.net/0195/f/2015/097/5/9/_mg_3878_2_by_danostergren-d8otfwx.jpg

Last edited:
Not seeing them, Dan. :(

Love it. Very "Calvin Klein". Could go right into a magazine with a free sample of cologne.

Now I see them. Nice - personally I like the warmer tone but I'm getting used to the new wave of looks. :headbang:

Now I see them. Nice - personally I like the warmer tone but I'm getting used to the new wave of looks. :headbang:
I like the warm tones too, which is why I didn't completely get rid of them. I added a few other color tones to try and compliment the colors that were already very prominent in the shot.

I love the simplicity, but yet complexity of the shot. Let me explain.

At first glance its almost like a snapshot. But once you start looking throughout the image, you can tell some thought went into it.

I love how he's resting on a railing? I think its a railing. Maybe to stairs. So you have the angular lines coming down. And then on the opposite you have angular lines from the sun from the window frame coming the other way, and they intersect right to him. Almost creating a V effect, drawing your eyes in.

And can't forget the subtle hand placement, ever so softly yet, masculine.

I would say I'm speechless and its a great photo, but I actually found myself rambling haha.

Well done.

Really looks great to me!!! :clap::clap::clap:

I love the simplicity, but yet complexity of the shot. Let me explain.

At first glance its almost like a snapshot. But once you start looking throughout the image, you can tell some thought went into it.

I love how he's resting on a railing? I think its a railing. Maybe to stairs. So you have the angular lines coming down. And then on the opposite you have angular lines from the sun from the window frame coming the other way, and they intersect right to him. Almost creating a V effect, drawing your eyes in.

And can't forget the subtle hand placement, ever so softly yet, masculine.

I would say I'm speechless and its a great photo, but I actually found myself rambling haha.

Well done.
Thank you!
Call it a happy accident; I just saw the window and was like "oh how pretty, stand over there please!"

Really looks great to me!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Really, really well done. Conveys that romanticized mood right off the bat. The split lighting on his face is great, and as others mentioned the hand placement is spot on!
Thank you. I'm trying to use more unconventional light and light that obscures part of the face in shadow lately. It's always interesting to see what works and what doesn't. I almost scrapped this shot but I'm glad I didn't. It's unconventional for a portrait but I like it.

Most reactions

Back