Jena- Experimental Surreal Edit

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been putting together a photo book for myself over the last two days of my favorite shots (I have zero prints of my own work), so I've been combing through my archived shoots looking for anything I may want to include, and came across this shot from last Summer that I hadn't touched. It's not perfect (I really wish I had pinned her clothing during the shoot), but when I saw it I was inspired to try out an idea I had using adjustment layer masks. I went a little out of my comfort zone with this edit, but I really like the result I got and plan to try the same technique out on more photos in the future.

Anyway, here's the shot, and I'll include a before/after as well.
Natural light.
EOS 5D MKI
85mm @ f/5.6
1/1000 sec
ISO 500
_mg_9133_by_danostergren-d8orepa.jpg

Before/after:
_mg_9133_by_danostergren-d8orerm.jpg

Beautifully processed, Dan. I like it. Do you think the leaves would look a bit less distracting if you darkened them a bit? It's not that I find them overly distracting now, but I find myself looking at them in almost the same amount of time that I spend looking at the subject.

I wish I could process like you..
Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

love it, bro!

The edit is amazing!! It blows the original out of the water!! Nicely done!

Did you desaturate and recolor the leaves or just do a hue shift?

Not that I don't like all your other work, bc I do.

But this may be one of my favorites! Amazing edit.

And I'm extremely curious as to what her tattoos are haha :)

I think he used the selective color layer filter.

Great job!

I think he used the selective color layer filter.

Nah that wouldn't work with so much variance.

The reason I ask is because the leaves look a bit flat tonally which lead me to believe it was a desat then a blend layer.

I used a hue/saturation adjustment layer with a mask. I mainly only changed the hues of the yellow channel, and yes I lowered the saturation just a little bit. Without reducing the saturation I felt that they were too vibrant, and I wanted a more subtle color gradient throughout the entire shot.

I would love the photo and agree with everyone else that it is excellent, but I cannot, because you are using an outdated camera that only has 12 megapixels and shoots at 3fps; therefore, it cannot be a good photo. Sorry. Had it been a MKII with 1 cross sensor, the photo might have turned out, but who knows?

I would love the photo and agree with everyone else that it is excellent, but I cannot, because you are using an outdated camera that only has 12 megapixels and shoots at 3fps; therefore, it cannot be a good photo. Sorry. Had it been a MKII with 1 cross sensor, the photo might have turned out, but who knows?
Bye Felicia. :76:

For anyone interested in knowing, it took 17 layers and quite a few hours to get to the final image.
screen_shot_2015_04_07_at_2_00_06_pm_by_danostergren-d8otsj0.jpg

Most reactions

Back