What's new

One of my favorite shots from today, B&W or Color?

nmasters

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 22, 2011
Messages
209
Reaction score
14
Location
Georgia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
B&W or Color?
I'm so indecisive... :-P


_DSC0068 by nico418, on Flickr


_DSC0068-2 by nico418, on Flickr


My favorite shot taken in the Great Smokey Mountains today, and I'm waking up extra early tomorrow morning to shoot Cades Cove!
 
I am mostly a "colour" guy, but I have been known to make a B&W conversion on oaccasion. I do like the conversion - my only suggestion would be to see if you can bring out more of the detail in the shadows in amongst the trees on the left side. Just curious - how did you do the conversion?

WesternGuy
 
I don't know; personally, I prefer the color because it conveys the sense of what time of year it is--summer fun, out on the mountain roads. I like the b&w (though I agree with WesternGuy about trying to get more detail), but it changes the "mood" of the photo for me, as it could just as easily be spring or fall, or around these parts, even a nice winter day.

On another note: WHY is everyone getting to go to Cades Cove except ME?!? I keep seeing all these posts from out-of-state folks who have visited the Cove recently--here I am, about 30 minutes away, and I haven't been since spring!
I really gotta change that soon...I'm seeing a "mental health" sick day in my future... :D
 
B&W or Color?
I'm so indecisive...

I perfer the color version because I think the main subject is (are) the motorcycles, and the color version helps to define them better.
 
I'm going to make an uncommon assertion.

Pictures are either b/w or color, and you should be able to know before you even press the shutter button. If you can't tell, then you didn't capture a picture that speaks loudly enough to worry about and you should probably bin it entirely.
 
WesternGuy said:
I am mostly a "colour" guy, but I have been known to make a B&W conversion on oaccasion. I do like the conversion - my only suggestion would be to see if you can bring out more of the detail in the shadows in amongst the trees on the left side. Just curious - how did you do the conversion?

WesternGuy

I did the conversion in Lightroom 4. I'm going to run it through Silver Effex and see if it come out any better.

sm4him said:
I don't know; personally, I prefer the color because it conveys the sense of what time of year it is--summer fun, out on the mountain roads. I like the b&w (though I agree with WesternGuy about trying to get more detail), but it changes the "mood" of the photo for me, as it could just as easily be spring or fall, or around these parts, even a nice winter day.

On another note: WHY is everyone getting to go to Cades Cove except ME?!? I keep seeing all these posts from out-of-state folks who have visited the Cove recently--here I am, about 30 minutes away, and I haven't been since spring!
I really gotta change that soon...I'm seeing a "mental health" sick day in my future... :D

Be glad you didn't go early this morning; it was extremely foggy.
It cleared up though! I could spend the whole day in Cade's Cove, so beautiful.

manaheim said:
I'm going to make an uncommon assertion.

Pictures are either b/w or color, and you should be able to know before you even press the shutter button. If you can't tell, then you didn't capture a picture that speaks loudly enough to worry about and you should probably bin it entirely.

I welcome your opinion, however, I disagree, because when one looks through the viewfinder, all you see is what your photo would look like in color.
It's not until post processing when an image can be seen in B&W, and I don't think an image should be binned entirely if indecisive about converting to B&W.
 
manaheim said:
I'm going to make an uncommon assertion.

Pictures are either b/w or color, and you should be able to know before you even press the shutter button. If you can't tell, then you didn't capture a picture that speaks loudly enough to worry about and you should probably bin it entirely.

I welcome your opinion, however, I disagree, because when one looks through the viewfinder, all you see is what your photo would look like in color.
It's not until post processing when an image can be seen in B&W, and I don't think an image should be binned entirely if indecisive about converting to B&W.
While I don't agree with manaheim at all on this one, I don't agree with you either – once you've converted your fair share of images to B&W, your mind's eye is "educated" to see scenes in B&W.

As for this particular image, I agree with everybody else – colour.
 
manaheim said:
I'm going to make an uncommon assertion.

Pictures are either b/w or color, and you should be able to know before you even press the shutter button. If you can't tell, then you didn't capture a picture that speaks loudly enough to worry about and you should probably bin it entirely.

That's a load of rubbish.
 
I prefer the colour one. Shows the light greens of where the sun shines through the trees.
 
I really like both but the B&W stands out for me more. I think because it looks dramatic and shows the sun shine beautifully
 
Definitely color
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom