One of my pet peeves

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
Being a teacher, I'm surrounded by 165 kids a day who...hmm how shall I say this? Let's just say that personal cleanliness is not usually high on the order of the day for many of them. By 8th grade they've learned to wipe their butts but not their noses kind of thing.

Anyway, I tend to get a LOT of upper respiratory misery--usually 5 or 6 nasty sinus infections a year, bronchitis, etc. I pick up upper-resp bugs at the slightest contact. Consequently I try to keep the kids at arm's reach, both to prevent me getting their cooties, and to keep me from spreading it when I've got it.

But still, I've got a handful of kids that are 'Close Talkers' and it annoys me to no end. They think they can't carry on a conversation with me unless they're less than a foot from me. I've set up my desk so that I'm basically walled off from the room--desk in front, counter on one side, bookcase on the other, narrow opening to get back behind my desk. And yet, I have a couple students that will weave all the way back behind there just so they can hover over me while they ask questions. And of course, it's those same few kids that are always dripping at the nose and snotting and snuffling constantly. AGH! :pissed: :angry1: :pissed: :angry1: I've taken now to pulling out my top desk drawer, pretty much totally isolating myself. Odd luck--had a kid today lean way over my desk to get closer to me. I glanced up from grading papers and the kid's face was about 8" from me. Surprised the hell out of me--I physically jerked back in my seat, and the kid leaned in even more. :roll: :?

Poor old John.....I hear ya clucking, big chicken. :wink: Try working in a medical office, debating deductibles and coinsurance with sickies..... for some people it seems like the sicker they are, the closer they want to lean in and talk to you, sneeze in your face, etc.

It's a big-time Yuck. :|

Hmmmm.....perimeter defence required huh?
We could start out with something fairly gentle such as razor wire then progress to electrified fences and move on up to anti-personnel mines or of course there's always the good old claymore as a standby.

mrsid99 said:
We could start out with something fairly gentle such as razor wire then progress to electrified fences and move on up to anti-personnel mines or of course there's always the good old claymore as a standby.

I like the way you are thinking about this.

Damn, this thread made me giggle.
You should try teaching the younger ones when they pick their nose, wipe it god knows where and then want to hold your hand.

mrsid99 said:

:lol: :lol:

:thumbsup:

manda said:
Damn, this thread made me giggle.
You should try teaching the younger ones when they pick their nose, wipe it god knows where and then want to hold your hand.

Ew, no thanks!

I guess the one thing I should be grateful for is that when my nose is all stuffed up with a sinus infection, I can't smell their bad breath when they lean in so close to talk to me. :| :shock: :lol:

Remember the famous W. C. Fields quote: "Anyone who kicks dogs and hates children can't be all bad!".

mrsid99 said:
Remember the famous W. C. Fields
Now you're talking. This guy was one of the funniest men alive. I seem to have a affinity with the old time comics, ie, Buster Keaton, Laurel & Hardy, Phil Silvers, Ben Turpin, James Finlayson etc. Shame they're gone. But not forgotten.

Another (I'm pretty sure) W.C. quote:

"If hot air rises, then why can't man fly?"

:LOL:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back