One picture for C&C... suggestions?

C_mo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm sorry if you're getting sick of me posting new pictures everyday... I'm trying to take everyone's suggestions seriously and use them to get better each time I go out... although my progress is slow going.

I took Wyatt out this morning to use some different lighting, and this is the best of the lot (I think anyways). I realize that his face is darker than the background, and the top of his head is overexposed. I tried to take the shot from different angles and although I was able to somewhat reduce the over exposed area, I ended up with either soft pictures or dark shadows over his face. Next time I am going to try a mirror to try to cast some more light over his face, but for now this is the picture edited:

1zztm6r.jpg

here it is unedited.

23usbo1.jpg

The shot needed supplimental light, be it strobed (flash), or reflected.

Don't use a mirror. You can use a piece of flat white cardboard or white foamboard, like sold in office supply and art supply stores.

Part of the problem is your Canon XS doesn't have Spot metering mode.

Your shutter speed was 1/2000, the ISO was set to 1600, and the aperture was f/5.6 in Av shooting mode.

1/2000 was way faster a shutter speed than you needed, as was ISO 1600 (promotes image noise).

By using the concept of a 'stop' (a halving or a doubling), if you had reduced your ISO 2 stops (each stop is divide by 2 - 1600 / 2 = ISO 800 being 1 stop, then the second stop 800 / 2 = ISO 400) making the image sensor less sensitive to light, you could have slowed the shutter speed 2 stops (2000 / 2 = 1000, and 1000 / 2 = 500) to 1/500 the photo would have less mnoise but would be the same exact exposure.

1/500 would have been enough shutter speed to stop any of the boy's motion, and leaves the shutter open longer to counter-balance the change to the ISO making the image sensor less sensitive to light.

Photography is a lot harder to do well if you don't understand the basics of how the camera works, and how basic math can be used manipulate the exposure settings to your advantage.

Thank you so much for this! I will keep all of this in mind when I try again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back