One-time use license...how to do this?

melissakimberly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a photography hobbyist, but studied photography in college and am in the process of starting up my own business. Recently, someone contacted me through Etsy, saying that they want to use one of my photographs for an interior project they are working on and would like to purchase a one-time usage license to have the photo printed to their specifications (11x11, on canvas). I've never licensed anything and am wondering if anyone can help me with the following:

1. How do I price something like this?
2. How do I give them the file and ensure it is only used once?

Any and all help/input is greatly appreciated!

:)

I'd have the print made for them. No license required.

I'd prefer to have the print made for them, too, but I don't want to have a canvas made and not have it fit the client's exact specifications and/or have it not be consistent with other artwork they are using in the space. I'm leaning towards the licensing, but I don't know how to charge for it.

A single-printing usage would normally (IMO) be charged at the same rate as you would for a print of equal size (less material costs). Something in the $60 - 80 range?

No idea on the pricing part; John's suggestion seems reasonable.

As for ensuring the one-time use: I'd say let them decide who they are going to be using to print the piece and send the file to the printer with the one-time-use release.

Put the file on a mission impossible style self destructs usb stick.

1. How do I price something like this?
2. How do I give them the file and ensure it is only used once?
1. I charged by the square inch. 11x11 is 121 square inches. Canvas prints were $1 per square inch - so $121 for an 11x11 canvas - even if they have the canvas made using my image.

2. You can't ensure it only gets used once if you license the image. But you are more likely to limit the usage by selling a canvas print.

Commercial entities often use images beyond the terms of the use license.
The federal courts hear lawsuits over just that on a regular basis.

Thank you all for your responses. They are all very helpful! I ended up offering a price to the client for each: me printing the image for them and the one-time license. Waiting to hear back...

Most reactions

Back