Tangerini

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Comments? Advice?
I'm getting really frustrated with my people shots. :confused:

eve.jpg

I like this one, the expression and the droplets on the chin give make me think someone just got caught doing something they shouldn't have been.

What a cutie!!

What specifically frustrates you about your people shots? I like this one, but it seems that maybe her eyes are not quite as sharp as the they could be. Also, her bright shirt/dress distract me from her (darker) face.

I agree with morydd, her expression makes me think she was just doing something that she knows she was not supposed to do. :)

~jen

There is no light on her face to give any modelling or detail.
You may be able to get away with this in color but in black and white you end up with a bland featureless grey.

JenR ~ Pretty much what you said is what is frustrating me (I can't seem to get them as sharp as I'd like) I didn't quite see the adverse effects the bright top was giving until you mentioned it (I guess more so I just couldn't put my finger on it) so thank you! :)

The_Traveler ~ Would you mind giving some constructive advice along with the crit?

There is no light on her face to give any modelling or detail.
You may be able to get away with this in color but in black and white you end up with a bland featureless grey.

The_Traveler ~ Would you mind giving some constructive advice along with the crit?

Sorry - this portrait, or any, needs more light. It is light that generates modelling, multiple tones, details and shadows. A complete toneless situation, such as a dull shadow, leaves only the color to differentiate contours and details, and when the color is removed, the contours and details usually leave also. The picture will then look soft - even if the focus is right on.

The histogram below is the entire area of the baby's face - very narrow tone range, the dark bump at left is the eyes.

babyhistoxo9.jpg

I wish I could help more on the sharpness/focus issues; but I am still struggling with them myself! ;)

Camera Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
Image Date: 2007:04:10 13:24:37
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 35.0mm
Exposure Time: 0.040 s (1/25)
Aperture: f/4.0

Typically picture should not be handheld at an exposure longer than the inverse of the focal length. The focal length was 35 but the picture was shot at 1/25th. Good chance of camera shake.

The_Traveler - Thank you, that's much more helpful.
The picture will then look soft - even if the focus is right on.
I didn't know this, very good to know!

I'll be trying a lot more :)

Most reactions

Back